Thread: 10.10 Enable shutdown without confirmation? (yes I know I know...)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

10.10 Enable shutdown without confirmation? (yes I know I know...)

I know this question has been asked many times before - in fact I've spent a good while trawling through Google results on this question, but all I could find was stuff relating to earlier releases and seemingly *not* to Maverick. I keep seeing stuff that says "right-click on the shutdown icon, select Properties" and so on. Well, I've just upgraded (should I say "upgraded"? It was a fresh reinstall really, not an Upgrade through the Update Manager) to 10.10, and right-clicking on the shutdown icon does not produce a "Properties" option. I get About, Remove From Panel, and Lock To Panel... none of which are helpful.

So, it's been asked before and I'm gonna ask it again: How do I remove the annoying confirmation when I want to shut down Ubuntu? 10.10, that is.
    "All people are scum. No matter what they look like." ~ Spider Jerusalem, Transmetropolitan #4
    blog

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Smile Re: 10.10 Enable shutdown without confirmation? (yes I know I know...)

In gconf editor, go to

/ -> apps -> indicator-session

In the right pane enable the key suppress_logout_restart_shutdown and close the editor. Now when the shutdown or restart or logout button is pressed there will be no confirmation dialog. If you change your mind and need the confirmation dialog back just uncheck the key value.

Alternatively you can disable it by typing the typing the following command in the terminal:

Code:
    gconftool-2 –type bool –set /apps/indicator-session/suppress_logout_restart_shutdown true
    To re-enable it just change the key value in the end of the command to false.
    How can I use a signature in forums?

Beans
    Distro

Re: 10.10 Enable shutdown without confirmation? (yes I know I know...)

hariks0, thanks for that.
    Last edited by t0p; December 29th, 2010 at 10:10 PM.
    "All people are scum. No matter what they look like." ~ Spider Jerusalem, Transmetropolitan #4
    blog

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Smile Re: 10.10 Enable shutdown without confirmation? (yes I know I know...)

*hariks0*, thanks for the command line solution. I couldn't have done without it, as I have no idea how to open the gui for gconf editor.

How does one launch gconf editor?
    Edit Main Menu > Applications > System Tools > Enable 'Configuration Editor'

How can I use a signature in forums?

Beans
    Distro

Re: 10.10 Enable shutdown without confirmation? (yes I know I know...)

Quote Originally Posted by hariks0 View Post
    Edit Main Menu > Applications > System Tools > Enable 'Configuration Editor'

Yes... or you can hit Alt+F2 (or open a terminal) and type in

Code:
    gconf-editor
    I figured this out for myself shortly after asking the question, which is why I edited that post. But thanks anyway.

I'm going to mark this thread [SOLVED].
    blog