Thread: How do we really know what we're using

Beans

Exclamation How do we really know what we're using

I've been using Ubuntu for almost six years, mostly because if it's security and immunity from most viruses and malware on the internet. I was wondering though, with all the different developers adding code to the Linux kernel and the other open source projects that we use in Ubuntu, how can we be sure that there is no malicious code in the kernel that Ubuntu uses? Is every line of code analysed and checked for malware, and if so, who does this, and how do we know we can trust them? I'm wondering if Ubuntu and open source software and it's users are more vulnerable to attacks than we think.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: How do we really know what we're using

The Ubuntu developers use the same kernel as all the other distributions, they just add their own enhancements. Over 75% of the developers that work on the kernel are employed by big business, so you can be rest assured that the kernel itself is under careful scrutiny.

As far as other packages go, there is very little software in the distribution that is exclusively used in Ubuntu and nowhere else. Except for the main developers, all other developers have to be sponsored by an Ubuntu dev, any packages submitted are checked by several developers, before it is submitted to the repository.

For more on developer sponsorship, have a look here.

Beans

Re: How do we really know what we're using

Thanks, cariboo907.