Thread: Ubuntu 10.10 won't stay connected to wireless internet

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Ubuntu 10.10 won't stay connected to wireless internet

Hi everyone,

I am running Ubuntu 10.10 on a Dell Dimension 4700 desktop computer. I just upgraded to 10.10 from the previous version after getting my D-Link wireless adapter back after loaning it out. My internet now won't stay connected. I can connect when I first turn on the computer, with after 2-5 minutes it drops the connection and gives me the "Wireless Network Authentication Required" prompt. It won't connect again without unplugging the adapter and plugging it back in.

I borrowed a Belkin wirelss adapter to try it, and it does the exact same thing. PLEASE can someone help me, I really need the internet up on the computer.

(Also, when I first got the adapter-- while running the old version of Ubuntu-- it would not recognize or connect at all and I spent 4 hours messing with drivers and settings to get it to work, which it did flawlessly. Until I upgraded.)

Thank you!!

Beans

Re: Ubuntu 10.10 won't stay connected to wireless internet

Hi

I am having the same problems as the poster. Please help. I currently am running Ubuntu 10.10 and windows 7. Windows 7 has no problems connecting and/or staying connected to the Internet but when i log into Ubuntu 10.10 it iwll stay connected to the internet for 2-3 min then logs off. I have reinstalled Ubuntu a few problems so that not the problem.... please help

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Ubuntu 10.10 won't stay connected to wireless internet

Please provide diagnostic information as requested in this post so we can assist you:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=6183681

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Lightbulb Re: Ubuntu 10.10 won't stay connected to wireless internet

This seems to be a problem with any system running snmp. When you run SNMP, it interrupts the wireless connection from time to time for some reason or other. If you are using a secured network, and you never have an intent of using an unsecured one, removing it seems to solve the problem. It also shaves off about 3 seconds of boot time, more on older systems most likely. Try it on your computer, and if it causes problems, just reinstall the snmplib5 package. That's the one you should have removed in the first place. I hope this is the solution you are looking for!

EDIT: This will NOT prevent you from connecting to unsecured networks.
    EDIT(2): DO NOT ATTEMPT if you have an HP scanner or printer. Some drivers require snmplib5 to work.
    Last edited by jimmydean886-2; June 27th, 2011 at 01:16 AM. Reason: More Information
    If only you could brew your forum beans. Free coffee.