Thread: Accidentally removed the environment

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Accidentally removed the environment

I have Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx. I recently started messing with the desktop environment, going from GNOME to Ubuntu Studio to Netbook Remix... and then I decided to remove the Netbook look and go back to Studio, by removing it through the Software Manager. But this seemed to remove any and all desktop environments present.

So now I just have the xterm. This was not part of the plan. I can get the Software Manager up and running, but I cannot get packages. I could try to provide the exact error message I get when I try, though I'm not entirely sure how to bring it to you.

Is there a way I can get a desktop environment back after such a screw-up?

Beans

Re: Accidentally removed the environment

Assuming you have access to wired internet:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install ubuntu-studio-desktop
    Then reboot
    There's no place like ~/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Luckily, I did have a cable lying about. This worked great. I decided to try out the Kubuntu desktop this time around. Thanks for your help!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

However, I still cannot seem to connect to wireless internet. There's the Network Manager and all, but it won't find the signals. I had no issues with this when I was using any of the other desktop environments. Could I have lost a driver or something?

I realize that's not a lot of information, but I'm not quite sure what information to provide.

To complicate the issue, my wired internet connection isn't working at the moment.