Hi all,
I am very much a newbie to linux (and not overly computer literate otherwise, so please be gentle). This is my first interaction with ubuntu (currently running karmic on an old gateway laptop with kernel 2.6.31-22-generic) and, as is par for how I handle challenges, I've jumped in with both feet - which is to say this is not a dual-boot situation. I've spent some time reading the forums (and other sources of information) and am grateful for all the knowledgeable people who are willing to share what they know.

My operating system seems to be functioning properly. I can get online via ethernet, but not via wireless. I have a lucent orinoco gold PC24E-H-FC (PCMCIA) card, which the computer isn't seeing. I am trying to follow the instructions here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wi.../OrinocoKismet to install the driver. Everything is going well until I get to the sudo make line. At that point I get the following display:
make -C /usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.31-22-generic M=/usr/src/orinoco-0.15rc4 KERNELRELEASE= modules
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.31-22-generic'
/usr/src/orinoco-0.15rc4/Kbuild:8: *** Wireless extensions are not enabled. Stop.
make[1]: *** [_module_/usr/src/orinoco-0.15rc4] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.31-22-generic'
make: *** [modules] Error 2

I am looking for suggestions as to how I can fix it so I can continue on with the instructions. (For the record - if I just continue on, I can change directory in the next line, but I cannot remove either hermes or orinoco as "no such file or directory" seems to exist.)
Thanks for any help you can offer.
-Kris