Thread: A skype and Surf device for my LCD

Beans

A skype and Surf device for my LCD

Hi,
    I would like to move the skype device in our house from the wife's iMac in her study to our front room using the LCD TV (Sharp Aquos LC42 inch) as the video screen. . I want to be able to get the whole family in font of the camera and of course I want to have the bigger picture.

The TV supports HDMI and DVI in but no VGA. I do not own a web camera yet. What I really need is a computer that will hookup to the TV's HDMI in and also use a web camera that can be used in my living room (12 x 10 feet). This location in the house as a wired network connection.

I would not mind purchasing the Meerkat or Meerkat ION desktops if I was sure that I could make it work in my scenario. Has anyone built a setup like this?

Thanks
    Paddy

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: A skype and Surf device for my LCD

I think the biggest factor here is the webcam. You'll want to look for a webcam with good Linux support. You're in a good position since you haven't already bought one. It really is a lot easier to buy a Linux-compatible device than it is to make a non-linux-compatible device work.

Other than that, you'll want to go for either the Meerkat ION or possibly a Ratel, since they both have HDMI. The standard Meerkat only has one VGA, while the other two have multiple video ouputs. That way you'd be able to use a normal monitor, then switch to the TV when you want to make a call.
    Ian Santopietro - System76 Technical Support.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!

Beans

How do i know which web cams will work? Does system76 have a recomendation.

How can i ensure that my sharp aquos works with the meerkat hdmi? I tried the sharp aquos with a dell with a dvi to hdmi interface and could not make it work. Am i guarateed that an hdmi out will work with my hdmi in?
    Thanks
    Paddy

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

We don't test with any external webcams, so I couldn't give an accurate recommendation. I do know that Logitech makes high-quality products, and they probably have one to meet your needs. If you see a particular webcam, and you aren't sure if it works, I can probably help you look it up with a make and model.

Typically, devices work well enough with the protocol they're intended to work with. HDMI will work well with an HDMI device, DVI will work well with a DVI device, etc. However, when you throw adapters into the mix, things can go wrong. For example, while testing the Ratel Ultra model, we couldn't get the resolution to work correctly. We ruled out everything else, then found that the DVI to VGA adapter was the source of the issue.

Worst-case-scenario, you can get the system, try it under our 30-day satisfaction guarantee, then if it doesn't work, send it back in for a refund. Would that work?
    Last edited by isantop; December 27th, 2010 at 11:06 PM.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!

Beans

I was wondering if there was a particular reason for that.
    ---------\
    peter fernandes

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

We aren't exactly sure, though I think it was just an incompatibility between the output in the Ratel and the VGA specification. A DVI output isn't required to support VGA at all, and especially consider the differences between the Ratel's Digital output and the Analog VGA signal.

We've had better compatibility with DVI to HDMI adapters, since they are both Digital, however, I'd still recommend trying to get a system with native ports, just to eliminate the chances of incompatibility.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I'm not sure you have the right thread, but the iPhone 4 and iPad 2 are both available on Verizon and AT&T.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!