Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What the heck is eating up my hard drive space?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Exclamation What the heck is eating up my hard drive space?

Something that seems to be running hidden in the background is constantly eating up hard drive space off of my root partition.

I've partitioned off other sections of my HDDs to allow for storage space and editing space and such, though I only set aside about 19G for my root partition (enough for the system install (in root, /bin, /dev, /etc, and such) and the /home files).

17G of the 19G is used... just 2 minutes ago it said 870M is free, and now it says 857M is free. Something's eating up the space and at a fairly fast rate, too, but I have no idea what it is.

I'm searching for possible causes and so far the only thing I can find that is currently taking up a lot of space is "/home/[user]/.Private". Although ".Private" is within "/home" it is also being treated as a separate partition but still within the 19G limit.

Is there possibly something going on in ".Private" that is constantly taking up more space (and what might that be)?

I'm not downloading anything. I'm not extracting or installing anything.

Everything in "/home" adds up to 12G of the 19G partition.
    Everything in the ".Private" of one user's "/home" space adds up to 17G of the 19G.

Maybe it has nothing to do with ".Private" but maybe something else entirely. I have no idea.

I've cleared out all caches from web browsers and /tmp is only using 840M.

What's going on here?

I'd just like to stop whatever it is from constantly eating up hard drive space.

Thanks!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: What the heck is eating up my hard drive space?

Also...

Is there a way that I can monitor in real-time HDD usage per directory/partition so that I can detect exactly where the hard drive space is being "eaten up" and such?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Is your Private folder perhaps the mount-point for a Data or shared partition? If so, and the shared partition fails to mount, then any files you put in that Private folder will be written to the folder anyway, but won't be on the shared partition, but in the Private folder in your /home partition. If this is the case, you can check it by unmounting the shared partition then look inside the Private folder. If there are saved files still showing in the Private folder, it means that you have duplicate files... one on the shared partition and the same file in the Private folder but located in your /home/Private space. OR, those files may not be duplicates, but only located in your /home userspace and deceiving you into believing they are on the shared partition. This happened to me once upon a time.
    Last edited by 4Orbs; December 26th, 2010 at 06:05 AM.
    i5 2500k | Gigabyte Z68 UD3p | Corsair 1600LP 8gb | MSI HD6870 TwinFrozer | Samsung 830 SSD/WD Black | Seasonic 520w modular
    http://spankmon.wordpress.com

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Hi, I'm confused by your response, sorry. I don't even use the ".Private"/encrypted folder stuff. And yet, there's like 17G of stuff in there.

I disabled my internet and did periodic "df -h" from command line and, still, hard drive space is being eaten up.

I'm getting really worried about what the heck is causing this.

...and it's happening fairly fast too. I'm now down to about 750M free on / and those 200-ish megs have vanished just in the past couple hours.

edit - okay strange, there is now 7G of stuff in ".Private"...and yet I'm still losing HDD space on "/" and everything in that partition. I have less than 750M free out of a 19G partition and it just shouldn't be anywhere close to that low.

edit2- okay, looks like "/home/username" has a lot more than just 2G of stuff. @#%^& arg... I'm trying to find out what the heck is taking up all the space in username's home but what is really worrying me here is that I was *still losing space* *even* after I *disabled* the internet. That's just spooky. Anybody have any ideas what might be going on or how to remedy this?

edit3- okay now the /home/username is showing 18.7G used on a 19G partition... and it is something in a hidden folder. I rechecked ".Private" and it's up to 9.7G... why "private" keeps changing is beyond me.

final-edit- okay it looks like "home/.ecryptfs/username/.Private" is taking up lots of space, but it's still sitting at 9.7G. I have no idea where the 17G (of the 19G partition) is being used though, it seems the majority of it would have to be from somewhere, unless without that 9.7G the remaining space used is normal. Can I just delete that ".Private" stuff? I don't even know how to access it. It just shows text-like files with weird scrambled filenames and folder names.
    Last edited by Th3Professor; December 26th, 2010 at 06:56 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Sorry for my confusing post. If the private folder is something you did not intentionally create yourself, then my post has no relevance to your problem. Hopefully someone else will come along with a solution.
    i5 2500k | Gigabyte Z68 UD3p | Corsair 1600LP 8gb | MSI HD6870 TwinFrozer | Samsung 830 SSD/WD Black | Seasonic 520w modular
    http://spankmon.wordpress.com

Beans
    Hidden!

Things that come to mind are temporary file that are created when you, say, watch videos online or when you apply updates to your system.

Files stored in /tmp are usually deleted when you reboot.
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Ok, first, do:
    Code:
    df -k
    to see what partition has all the space taken up.

Next, cd to that partition, then do:
    Code:
    du -sk *|sort -n
    This will show you which directory has the most space used up.
    cd into that directory, and repeat the 'du' command above.

Continue until you find the file or files taking up all the space.

Now, use the 'fuser' command to determine what running program has that file open.

Hope that helps,

-Mark

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by 4Orbs View Post
    Sorry for my confusing post. If the private folder is something you did not intentionally create yourself, then my post has no relevance to your problem. Hopefully someone else will come along with a solution.
    Can I just go into the ".Private" directory and delete everything in there? Or, how do I actually access that stuff to make sure I don't need it? It's apparently taking up 9.7G of the 19G partition (if that is actually part of that partition, it's weird, like it's a partition within a partition).

Quote Originally Posted by lisati View Post
    Things that come to mind are temporary file that are created when you, say, watch videos online or when you apply updates to your system.

Files stored in /tmp are usually deleted when you reboot.
    I went into /tmp and did a rm -rf (of only the tmp things of course) and that brought my "/" up from about 680M to 1.1G, so that helps... though I don't know what the heck is eating the space up (and it's happening when I have internet disabled and am not running any visible programs or any programs that I'm at least aware of).

Quote Originally Posted by mbobak View Post
    Ok, first, do:
    Code:
    df -k
    to see what partition has all the space taken up.
    Here's a df -kh ...

Code:
    Filesystem            Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
    /dev/sda5              19G   17G  1.1G  95% /
    udev                  2.0G  400K  2.0G   1% /dev
    none                  2.0G   20M  2.0G   1% /dev/shm
    none                  2.0G  200K  2.0G   1% /var/run
    none                  2.0G     0  2.0G   0% /var/lock
    none                  2.0G     0  2.0G   0% /lib/init/rw
    /dev/sda1             942M  112M  783M  13% /boot
    /dev/mapper/vg0-vault
                          755G  740G   16G  98% /studio/vault
    /dev/sda2             187G   92G   96G  49% /windows
    /dev/mapper/vg0-zone   87G  184M   83G   1% /zone
    /dev/sda6             216G  204G  516M 100% /studio/workspace
    /dev/mapper/vg0-nomad
                           87G  184M   83G   1% /nomad
    /home/username/.Private    19G   17G  1.1G  95% /home/username
    /dev/sr0              1.7G  1.7G     0 100% /media/cdrom0
    /dev/sde1             932G  901G   32G  97% /media/My Book
    These I was previously aware of as having very little space remaining, and I don't think the space is being "eaten up" on them:

Code:
    /dev/sda6             216G  204G  516M 100% /studio/workspace
    /dev/sde1             932G  901G   32G  97% /media/My Book
    These (or this (singular? plural?)) is/are what's concerning me:
    Code:
    /dev/sda5              19G   17G  1.1G  95% /
    /home/username/.Private    19G   17G  1.1G  95% /home/username
    Having deleted the /tmp stuff helped bring up the dwindling space to 1.1G but it's still being eaten away by something. (i.e., I'm already down to 1.0G and I haven't done anything to lose that 100M since I ran that "df -kh" command a few minutes ago.)

Next, cd to that partition, then do:
    Code:
    du -sk *|sort -n
    This will show you which directory has the most space used up.
    Here's du -skh /home/username/.Private|sort -n ...

4? ...confusing. ...wait, it's a shortcut.

Okay, I'll try that on "/home/.ecryptfs/username/.Private" ...

Code:
    9.8G    /home/.ecryptfs/username/.Private/
    ...oh great now the previous 9.7G has gone up to 9.8G. arg @#%&

But I suppose the main culprit in all of this is, at least for now it seems, that ".Private" stuff (which I'm not even awaringly using).

cd into that directory, and repeat the 'du' command above.

Continue until you find the file or files taking up all the space.
    Okay I did "du -skh [that Private dir]/* |sort -n ... and there doesn't appear to be anything that would add up to 9.8G ...

The largest things in there are -

A few files about 125M, 146M, 317M, and such, but otherwise a handful of kilobyte-size files, that's it.

And each file has a weird name like:
    "ECRYPTFS_FNEK_ENCRYPTED.WkacAaJnFbsd2J5WYy16uifD7 4V.ShK--"

I don't know how to see what they are.

...woh... wait a sec...

I was using command line and that's all I found. I just re-checked using nautilus file browser and 1 file is 7.3G.

Now, use the 'fuser' command to determine what running program has that file open.

Hope that helps,

-Mark
    I'm not familiar with "fuser" but trying it now...

Okay apparently I cannot use it with a private/encrypted file.

So I suppose this narrows down to 2 concerns now:

1. How do I access those ".Private" files/folders in an unencrypted way?

(That will help me determine what that 7.3G file is.)

2. How do I stop the computer from automatically eating up hard drive space?

(It seems that fuser doesn't let me see what's running that 7.3G file (if that file is open or if it's actually the space-eating file that mysterious-program-X is using.))

edit - of the 9.8G space used (and increasing) that 7.3G is only 1 file... and all of that within that "ecryptfs"/".Private" stuff. I think the ecryptfs stuff was an automatic part of the system install. I have never used it (nor do I know how to use it). I have no idea what the heck could possibly be going into that if I'm not even using the ecrypt/private stuff. Any ideas?

Also, I'm already down to 900M free... and it keeps getting lower.

edit2- I just rebooted the computer, the space was at 847M before, and it went up to 882M... and now, another check just a minute later, and it's down to 880M (I've opened no programs other than 1 web browser and a command line to check disk-free space). That's only a couple meg change in a minute or so, perhaps the result of loading the web browser again (if there was no cache factoring in). So maybe the reboot fixed whatever it was. However, I have no way of knowing what caused the HDD space decline before. And I'm still puzzled as to what can be done with that ".Private" stuff, how to unencrypt/access it, or if it's safe to just delete all of the contents in that directory (that seems to be where all of this problem is coming from).

edit3- the ".ecryptfs" directory is now up to 9.9G space used. ...but for the moment "/" is holding steady at 880M free. I just need to know if I can delete the ".Private" (ecryptfs) contents, which will help tremendously with this problem, or at least how to access it. It is within my currently logged in username, so I should theoretically have access to it now. I just don't know how. Anybody?

Thanks!
    Last edited by Th3Professor; December 26th, 2010 at 08:24 AM.

Beans

Don't know if it helps, but You can try to track the proceses using Your home directory:

Code:
    lsof | grep home
    That may help a bit in sloving the space puzzle game

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

...okay, problem with my HDD on / (and /home) being eaten up again.

I found one of the sources, though there are still more unknowns.

What I found:

.xsession-errors.old

That file, alone, was over 4 gigs. Crazy.

It's a text file, so I cat'd it to get a glance. There were a handful of "libdvd" but there seemed to be an infinite number of lines reading:

Code:
    *** NSPlugin Viewer *** WARNING: (/build/buildd/nspluginwrapper-1.2.2/src/npw-viewer.c:1017):invoke_NPN_InvalidateRect: assertion failed: (rpc_method_invoke_possible(g_rpc_connection))
    ...and basically, just countless lines of "NSPlugin Viewer" warning/failed messages... enough to fill up a 4+ gig file.

I ran "tail" on the file and the darn NSPlugin error goes all the way to the end.

What's up with that?

Can anyone help with remedying that?

I'd like to *not* have to manually go in and do a "du" on the HDD, including hidden files, just to try to find the sneaky stuff that's eating up my space.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast