Specifications:
    Dell PoweEdge 1600SC
    ATI Radeon HD 2400 Pro 256MB PCI graphics adaptor

Ubuntu 9.10 "Karmic Koala"
    Linux 2.6.31-22-generic #69-Ubuntu SMP Wed Nov 24 08:51:08 UTC 2010 i686
    ATI fglrx drivers
    Set up for dual-head display using two Princeton 19" monitors

Using the Gnome desktop and screensaver

At some point, I suspect since the last kernel upgrade, I've begun experiencing a problem when the screen locks: I tap a key on the keyboard and the monitors wake up, but I get no "unlock" dialog. I can usually Ctrl-Alt-F1, login and gracefully reboot the system, but sometimes I have to hit hard reset.

Any clues on what's causing this and how I can fix it? For now I've disabled the screensaver in "System -> Preferences -> screensaver" (I assume that'll stop the problem), but that's not an optimal solution.

Thanks,
    Jim

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Gnome Screensaver Locks-Up Display

Nobody has any clues or suggestions?

Thanks,
    Jim

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Have you perused any of the logs from the time of the lockups -- Xorg.log, syslog, etc?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Have you checked the option "Lock screen when screensaver is active" in your screensaver preferences??

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by noah++ View Post
    Have you perused any of the logs from the time of the lockups -- Xorg.log, syslog, etc?
    Thanks for the follow-up, Noah.

Only thing I've found of interest is
    Code:
    gdm-simple-slave[29823]: WARNING: Unable to load file '/etc/gdm/custom.conf': No such file or directory
    in /var/log/syslog, prior to the reboot. I've located that elsewhere in the logs, incl. areas that don't seem to have resulted in me rebooting. There is an Xorg.log.0.old with a timestamp that matches the hour:minute of the syslog entry with the "custom.com" error message timestamp. There's a lot of informational stuff in there. Can't tell what's important and what's not.

I searched on the warning message. Inconclusive results, incl. the instance by developers that the message has no bearing on anything. Problems that seem related/associated with this continue to be reported by Ubuntu 10.x users.

The problem has not recurred since I disabled the screen saver/locker.

Quote Originally Posted by karthick87 View Post
    Have you checked the option "Lock screen when screensaver is active" in your screensaver preferences??
    I think you misread my issue. The problem isn't that screen-locking isn't happening, it's that, sometimes, when it does, I cannot make it un-happen.

Thanks,
    Jim

Beans

check your power management utilities...(open synaptic and search pm-utils) if you are using a laptop with 1.4 installed remove and reinstall 1.3 http://packages.ubuntu.com/de/lucid/...utils/download after installing 1.3 reboot ... fixes alot of power management issues in 10.10...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thanks for the follow-up and suggestions, spantch101, but I'm not using a laptop.

Jim