Thread: wired network and dhcp gets wrong ip

Beans

wired network and dhcp gets wrong ip

Hi, I have two os (windows and ubuntu) windows dhcp gets correct ip adress and enables the internet, but ubuntu doesn't. Where is a problem? Ip adresses depends only on MAC's address. Mac addresses are the same.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

Re: wired network and dhcp gets wrong ip

I forgot to say, that ipv4 is set to automatic in windows tool.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

If you right click the network icon and select Connection Information you can check to see if the primary DNS is the same as the Windows DNS servers.

If you select Edit Connections and select the IPV4 settings tab you can make sure that the Method is set to Automatic (DHCP)

An ethernet connection should get the correct information from the router/modem. It should not need to be set up. Not if Network Manager is installed. As I understand things the router/modem is a gateway. So, the Gateway Address is the IP address of the router/modem. This is how things look on my system.

Regards.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post
    If you right click the network icon and select Connection Information you can check to see if the primary DNS is the same as the Windows DNS servers.
    You can see that primary DNS is the same.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by hiputuku View Post
    Ip adresses depends only on MAC's address.
    Part of the DHCPDISCOVER packet is an optional field where the client can request a particular IP address, which the server will grant if possible. So it is possible for Windows and Ubuntu to have different IP addresses with the same MAC address.

Is it your goal to force the two to have the same IP address? One way to do that is to configure the DHCP server to force the assignment. Another way could probably be devised to force the Ubuntu client to request the Windows IP address, after which they would always have the same IP.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by gmargo View Post
    Another way could probably be devised to force the Ubuntu client to request the Windows IP address, after which they would always have the same IP.
    Just added ip address directly into ipv4 settings, dns netmask and gateway and My internet is online! Thanks for quick response!
    Last edited by hiputuku; December 25th, 2010 at 11:55 PM.