Thread: Ubuntu wont boot from usb on hp-mini.

Beans

Ubuntu wont boot from usb on hp-mini.

Hi!

Ive just recently bought a hp-mini 210-2013eo. I wanted to put ubuntu netbook remix on it so i went and downloadeed the iso aswell as the universal usb installer and put it on my usb thumbdrive. I rebooted my laptop and booted from the usb. There is a flashing white text at the top of the screen saying something about linux system, and then the screen goes black with a white blinking marker in the top left corner. Nothing more happens. I tried re-downloading the image and the usb installer. Didnt help. I tried booting the memstick in another computer and it worked like a charm. I downloaded the crunchbang iso, same procedure. Worked well on my other laptop, only a white marker on my mini. I hope someone can help me, because i am at a lost.

Thanks in advance,
    Joakim.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome Development Release

Re: Ubuntu wont boot from usb on hp-mini.

Quote Originally Posted by hpmini View Post
    Hi!

Ive just recently bought a hp-mini 210-2013eo. I wanted to put ubuntu netbook remix on it so i went and downloadeed the iso aswell as the universal usb installer and put it on my usb thumbdrive. I rebooted my laptop and booted from the usb. There is a flashing white text at the top of the screen saying something about linux system, and then the screen goes black with a white blinking marker in the top left corner. Nothing more happens. I tried re-downloading the image and the usb installer. Didnt help. I tried booting the memstick in another computer and it worked like a charm. I downloaded the crunchbang iso, same procedure. Worked well on my other laptop, only a white marker on my mini. I hope someone can help me, because i am at a lost.

Thanks in advance,
    Joakim.

Hello and welcome to Ubuntu

Kindly list the specifications of your machine especially the Graphics Card.

I know it worked on the other laptop but just to be in the safe side, please check the MD5SUM of your downloaded iso file. In my signature, there's a link (step1) with howto check md5sum.

What tool you used to create the LiveUSB? I would suggest: http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

Beans

Intel Atom N455 Processor 1,66 GHz
    1 GB DDR3 ram
    250 GB Sata hdd 7200 rpm.
    10,1" WSVGA Infinity BrightView
    Intel GMA 3150 up to 256 MB shared
    WLAN 802.11b/g/n, LAN 10/100

I havent got access to the image at the moment because it is at another computer. it seems unlikely though, as i deleted the fist one, redownloaded it and then downloaded a different distro from a different sites, and all three had the same problem and they all worked on my other laptop. i will however check the md5 sum when i have access to the iso.

I used the "univesal usb installer" linked to at the instructionpage for ubuntu netbook remix. Im currently writing this from a ubuntu install on my laptop that was installed from windows and the booted from the hdd and finnished the setup. When i try sudo get-apt install ubuntu-netbook, it sauys i allready have it installed. But it doesnt look like the screenshots, how can i check version?

Im about to put backtrck 4 on a usb stick which is based on a different kernel than ubuntu if i understood it correctly. hopefully that will work.
    Last edited by hpmini; December 25th, 2010 at 11:21 PM.

Beans

I don't know if it helps, but I've installed 10.10 netbook edition yesterday from a USB stick & I had an error message.
    I found somewhere on the web that if you type: help <enter> the installation resumes flawlessly.
    I know it sounds crazy, I didn't believe it, I tried it & at my surprise it works!
    Then again, it might not be your case...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome Development Release

Intel Atom N455 Processor 1,66 GHz
    1 GB DDR3 ram
    250 GB Sata hdd 7200 rpm.
    10,1" WSVGA Infinity BrightView
    Intel GMA 3150 up to 256 MB shared
    WLAN 802.11b/g/n, LAN 10/100

I havent got access to the image at the moment because it is at another computer. it seems unlikely though, as i deleted the fist one, redownloaded it and then downloaded a different distro from a different sites, and all three had the same problem and they all worked on my other laptop. i will however check the md5 sum when i have access to the iso.

I used the "univesal usb installer" linked to at the instructionpage for ubuntu netbook remix. Im currently writing this from a ubuntu install on my laptop that was installed from windows and the booted from the hdd and finnished the setup. When i try sudo get-apt install ubuntu-netbook, it sauys i allready have it installed. But it doesnt look like the screenshots, how can i check version?

Im about to put backtrck 4 on a usb stick which is based on a different kernel than ubuntu if i understood it correctly. hopefully that will work.
    Try to check MD5SUM and try to use http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

Before you create the LiveUSB, try to format it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Hi!

Thanks in advance,
    Joakim.
    You can try this http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1653120&page=3