Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Script for automated rtorrent installation with rutorrent for Ubuntu 10.04!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Script for automated rtorrent installation with rutorrent for Ubuntu 10.04!

Hello,

I was trying to install rtorrent lately with a good web interface in my Ubuntu 10.04 server but I found it to be a quite challenging task.
    After I succesfully managed to install rtorrent with rutorrent as a web ui, I created a bash script to do everything automatically and thought that someone else might find it useful so I am posting it here.

My demands were the following so the script accomplishes them too:
    Code:
    * rtorrent had to be able to run as a service automatically upon boot.
    * No GUI with any gnome or kde dependencies! Only a web interface as this installation was targeting a headless server.
    * No source compilation
    * Single user use and authorization
    You can read also more info in the beginning of the script.
    Some quoted text of what this script will do in your computer..

Code:
    # The script will do the following changes in your computer:
    #       1) Download rtorrent 3.2
    #       2) Download rtorrent plugins 3.2
    #       3) Download a startup script for rtorrent
    #       4) Download a working .rtorrent.rc
    #       5) Check the md5sum of the downloaded files.
    #       6) Add a PPA repository for rtorrent compiled against the latest xmlrpc libraries.
    #       7) Download any extra dependencies using apt-get such as apache, screen and some more.
    #       8) Create all necessary directories
    #       9) Set all necessary permissions
    #       10) Ask for a password (using htpasswd) for the given username to be able to access the web page of rutorrent
    #       11) Install the startup script for automatic startup of rtorrent on boot.
    To run the script download the attachment, make it executable and run it:

Code:
    chmod +x rtorrent_server.sh

sudo ./rtorrent_server.sh <username>
    The <username> has to be a valid system user with an id of 1000 or more. The default one created during ubuntu installation will do fine
    This user will be used to run the rtorrent instance.

Enjoy!

Update 2011-07-22 :
    A much requested feature has been implemented by user rocker2344. The feature is multi user support and ISPConfig integration as a bonus
    I haven't tested the script myself, but you can test and report success back here.
    Follow this link for more information: http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...2&postcount=47

Update 2011-01-20 : Script was not installing one very important package! Now fixed (libapache2-mod-php5 and unzip).
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by CyberAngel; July 22nd, 2011 at 09:16 AM. Reason: Update

Beans

Re: Script for automated rtorrent installation with rutorrent for Ubuntu 10.04!

Hi CyberAngel,

thank you very much for your work on this. The installation worked great. But i get these errors under the tab "logger":

"ratio: plugin can't start for unknown reason."
    and
    "Bad response from server: (500),[Error.setsettings]) Warning: XMLRPCcall is failed."

And torrent adding works fine but downloads don't start.

Do you have a idea how to solve this?
    Last edited by nilsja; January 17th, 2011 at 06:24 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by nilsja View Post
    Hi CyberAngel,

thank you very much for your work on this. The installation worked great. But i get these errors under the tab "logger":

"ratio: plugin can't start for unknown reason."
    and
    "Bad response from server: (500),[Error.setsettings]) Warning: XMLRPCcall is failed."

And torrent adding works fine but downloads don't start.

Do you have a idea how to solve this?
    Hello there,

Did you try to install in ubuntu 10.10?

This script will not work with it!
    If you read in the beginning of the script I have a notification about it.
    Code:
    # The script will not work for Ubuntu 10.10 as the repository used contains packages 
    # only for Ubuntu 10.04.
    That's because rutorrent must be compiled against the latest xmlrpc libraries and the ppa repository I use only works for ubuntu 10.04.

If that's the case, then you need to compile xmlrpc and rutorrent yourself!

Try this link that it has information on how to compile it yourself
    http://chrispenner.info/blog/2010/07...ver-10-04-lts/

Beans

no, it is on Ubuntu 10.04

Beans

I uninstalled standard rtorrent from my 10.04 ubuntu server and ran your script in order to get web access to rtorrent. It appeared to work.

rtorrent runs and the web interface is accessable although it does not show me the status of any torrents, this is the error message in Firefox...

[18.01.2011 11:09:38] WebUI started.
    [18.01.2011 11:09:38] JS error: [http://192.168.2.2/rutorrent/ : 403] XML cannot be the whole program

the error message in Internet Explorer is...

[18.01.2011 11:36:03] WebUI started.
    [18.01.2011 11:36:03] JS error: [http://192.168.2.2/rutorrent/ : 121987285] Syntax error
    [18.01.2011 11:36:04] Bad response from server: (200 [parsererror,getuisettings]) <?phprequire_once( 'util.php' );$fname = getSettingsPath()."/uisettings.json";$s = @file_get_contents($fname); if($s==false) $s = '{}';cachedEcho($s,"application/json",true);?>

The problem is with rutorrent because ntorrent can connect to rtorrent.

Any ideas on how to fix this?
    Last edited by CoolHandSE; January 18th, 2011 at 12:15 PM.

Beans

now i got another error: "rTorrent is compiled with incorrect version of xmlrpc-c library, without i8 support. Version must be >= 1.11. Some functionality will be unavailable."

i think i'll have to try wtorrent again...

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Hey!

I forgot to make the script installing a very important package as I had a LAMP already installed....

Try to run this line:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install libapache2-mod-php5 unzip
    I created a fresh 10.04.1 virtual machine, ran the script with this change and now it looks like working fine

Beans

already had this installed too. but still tried it again. this time i recognized an error right from the install script: "cannot find rtorrent binary in PATH /usr/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin"

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by nilsja View Post
    already had this installed too. but still tried it again. this time i recognized an error right from the install script: "cannot find rtorrent binary in PATH /usr/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin"
    Try to run the following command and give me the output here...

Code:
    apt-cache policy rtorrent

Beans

Code:
    apt-cache policy rtorrent
    rtorrent:
      Installiert: (keine)
      Kandidat: 0.8.6-1
      Versions-Tabelle:
         0.8.6-1 0
            500 http://de.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid/universe Packages
    (keine) means none...

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast