Different icons and wallpapers in each workspace UBUNTU:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIRCpHIBueQ

I've improved the script, the next video I will explain the script
    Last edited by ELRINDELL; December 27th, 2010 at 11:40 PM. Reason: SOLVED

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: SOLVED: Different icons and wallpapers in each workspace UBUNTU

you have not uploaded any script there!!!

Beans

Re: Different icons in each workspace UBUNTU, script an estructure folder

hello:

I explain how I've achieved, the script can be improved:

DESKTOP SET FOR FOUR:

NEED:

sudo apt-get install avant-window-navigator ((((DIFFERENT DESKTOP LAUNCHER))))
    sudo apt-get install wmctrl (((TURN THE DESK)))

1) YOU HAVE TO GO TO THIS FILE: home / manuel / .config ((((MANUEL CHANGED)))))

Open the file, user-dirs.dirs

AS YOUR LANGUAGE, PLEASE NOTE THAT SAYS:

XDG_DESKTOP_DIR="$HOME/Escritorio" (((THIS IS SPANISH, ESCRITORIO = DESKTOP)))

2) BELIEVE IN THE Folder: home / manuel / (((MANUEL CHANGED))))

((((Where the Escritorio folder exists in my language )))))

MAKE THAT THREE OTHER FOLDERS calls just as you noted in point 1;

Escritorio2, Escritorio3 and Escritorio4

3) Now inside the folder; home / manuel / .config

YOU CREATE THESE 5 folders:

Any name, preserve it in the final script

FOUR named folder;

DESKTOP1, DESKTOP2, DESKTOP3, DESKTOP4

And another folder:

LANZADORES

((((( IN SPANISH Lanzadores = LAUNCHERS ))))

4) Now copy the file user-dirs.dirs, which is in home / manuel / .config

you paste the file user-dirs.dirs inside FOUR folder you created:

DESKTOP1, DESKTOP2, DESKTOP3, DESKTOP4

5) Now go into that folder and modifies the user-dirs.dirs ARCHIVE

IN FOLDER DESKTOP1:

XDG_DESKTOP_DIR = "$ HOME/Escritorio" ((((no change)))

IN FOLDER DESKTOP2:

XDG_DESKTOP_DIR = "$ HOME/Escritorio2"

IN FOLDER DESKTOP3:

XDG_DESKTOP_DIR = "$ HOME/Escritorio3"

IN FOLDER DESKTOP4:

XDG_DESKTOP_DIR = "$ HOME/Escritorio4"

6) CREATE SCRIPTs inside Lanzadores folder:

you must create 4 script, empty files, you paste the script inside, give execution permissions, (((RIGHT BUTTON UP, LEAVES)))

1 THE CALL TO SCRIPT DESKTOP1:

gconftool-2-s-t bool / apps / nautilus / preferences / show_desktop false
    gconftool-2 - type string - set / desktop / gnome / background / picture_filename "/ home/manuel/.config/imagenes_escritorios/mini_1.jpg"
    cp / home/manuel/.config/desktop1/user-dirs.dirs / home / manuel / .config /
    wmctrl-or 0.0
    killall nautilus
    sleep 0.15
    gconftool-2-s-t bool / apps / nautilus / preferences / show_desktop true; nautilus

THE FIRST LINE hide the icons ....
    THE SECOND LINE; THE DESKTOP WALLPAPER NEW (((CHANGE "/ home/manuel/.config/imagenes_escritorios/mini_1.jpg" WHERE HAVE YOUR PICTURES)))) (((I create a folder with ALL WALLPAPERS EN / home / manuel / .config / imagenes_escritorios)))
    THE THIRD LINE COPY OF DIRECTORS DESKTOP1 (you created) the file user-dirs.dirs and paste it into / home / manuel / .config / DELETING that existed before
    THE FOURTH LINE TOUR DESK (((NOTE my screen is 1280X800, THEN FOR EACH desktop you 1280 wmctrl add )))))
    THE FIFTH LINE NAUTILUS RESTORES
    The sixth line makes a stop in the process
    THE SEVENTH LINE SHOWS THE DESKTOP ICONS

2 THE CALL TO SCRIPT DESKTOP2:

gconftool-2 - type string - set / desktop / gnome / background / picture_filename "/ home/manuel/.config/imagenes_escritorios/mini_2.jpg"
    cp / home/manuel/.config/desktop2/user-dirs.dirs / home / manuel / .config /
    wmctrl-o 1280.0
    killall nautilus
    sleep 0.15
    gconftool-2-s-t bool / apps / nautilus / preferences / show_desktop true; nautilus

3 THE CALL TO SCRIPT DESKTOP3:

conftool-2-s-t bool / apps / nautilus / preferences / show_desktop false
    gconftool-2 - type string - set / desktop / gnome / background / picture_filename "/ home/manuel/.config/imagenes_escritorios/mini_3.jpg"
    cp / home/manuel/.config/desktop3/user-dirs.dirs / home / manuel / .config /
    wmctrl-o 2560.0
    killall nautilus
    sleep 0.15
    4 THE CALL TO SCRIPT DESKTOP4:

gconftool-2 - type string - set / desktop / gnome / background / picture_filename "/ home/manuel/.config/imagenes_escritorios/mini_4.jpg"
    cp / home/manuel/.config/desktop4/user-dirs.dirs / home / manuel / .config /
    wmctrl-o 3840.0
    killall nautilus
    sleep 0.15

WHEN I HAVE ALL THE SCRIPT IN Lanzadores FOLDER, I can CALL FROM avant-window-navigator

I HOPE THAT SOME PROGRAMMER ENCOURAGES AND DOES IT WITH AN ALONE SCRIPT WHO BELIEVES ALL THE DIRECTORIES ACCORDING TO THE LANGUAGE OF EACH ONE...
    I CANNOT PROGRAMME ONLY I HAVE BEEN EXPERIMENTING, THANK YOU

sorry for my english

Beans

VIDEO SCRIPT AND FOLDER: Different icons in each workspace UBUNTU

Beans

Question Re: Different icons in each workspace UBUNTU

Thanks a lot, elrindell for this workaround! I do not know how you got your script running, though, because I had to do a lot of man learning and googling before I got it working for me.

Now I can switch between the workspaces, and the wallpapers and icons load with a certain lag. Moving windows from one workspace to another does work, but still only switches workspaces, but not wallpapers or icons. So the script is not triggered by workspace switching, but calling the script triggers workspace switching.

Also, of course, the first Desktop folder is still the default in Places and for Save Under dialogues. But the time lag before windows and background load is clearly the most irritating, although minor. And the pictures are a little stretched - how do I adjust stretching settings here?

Also, while I could link the scripts to my hotkeys for workspace switching, the panel workspace switching buttons do still not take this whole scripting workaround into account. Anybody got any idea for how to do this? I mean, technically you have the same wallpaper and icons on all workspaces at the same time now, as far as i can tell, and only the fact that windows are still being on different workspaces makes this whole thing useful. But when I use the workspace switch now, forgetting the scripting solution, I find myself with different windows (say, work instead of pleasure), but still the same wallpaper and icons and have to quickly call the script to make the workaround seem pleasurable...

Also, being a complete beginner, I cannot really judge whether this workaround has the potential to seriously disrupt my system or could provoke any negative consequences. Any pros who would like to comment on this? Thank you so much.

Well, but apart from these 'minor' and some aesthetic issues (which is why it would not necessarily label the whole thing SOLVED, it works. At last, different workspaces for different activities with different icons and wallpapers!

Here's the script code that got it working for me (deleted several spaces and corrected several arguments, reduced lag time by reducing sleep, also had to fiddle with the wmctrl x and y values for each launcher, they have to be different for each workspace!, also added no-default-window so nautilus would't open a new window each time I changed):

#!/bin/bash

gconftool-2 -s -t bool /apps/nautilus/preferences/show_desktop false
    gconftool-2 --type string --set /desktop/gnome/background/picture_filename "/home/XXXXX/.config/desktop_pictures/desktop.jpg"
    cp /home/XXXXX/.config/Desktop/user-dirs.dirs /home/XXXXX/.config/
    wmctrl -o 0,0
    killall nautilus
    sleep 0.01
    gconftool-2 -s -t bool /apps/nautilus/preferences/show_desktop true; nautilus --no-default-window

# end script
    Ok, so far - thank you a lot for commenting on the implementation and safety issues mentioned above!
    Last edited by jlahn; January 18th, 2011 at 12:25 AM.

Beans

Re: Different icons in each workspace UBUNTU

Ok, I wanted to post a link to this thread from

#1 http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1516915
    #2 http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=357146

so that people might find it and comment on this workaround and other options (I did not really get the difference between the php approach mentioned in #2 and the one here), but due to maintenance issues this won't be possible for some time:

http://ubuntuforums.org/announcement.php?f=11

I'll try to do it it later.

Beans

Nice job ELRINDELL! Though the script you posted has some typoes I managed to run script manually. it must be "wmctrl -o 0,0" needs comma not dot. I have a problem with nautilus, after it has been killed,the spawned process spikes cpu.
    Thank you for showing us that it's possible to have different icons in each workspace

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

From the Ubuntu Forums Code of Conduct.
    If a post is older than a year or so and hasn't had a new reply in that time, instead of replying to it, create a new thread. In the software world, a lot can change in a very short time, and doing things this way makes it more likely that you will find the best information. You may link to the original discussion in the new thread if you think it may be helpful.
    Thread closed.