Thread: HOW TO Avoid Wubi & Install Ubuntu on USB Drive

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: HOW TO Avoid Wubi & Install Ubuntu on USB Drive

Quote Originally Posted by davidc60 View Post
    Hi Amjjawad,
    Re: Your Article: How to Avoid Wubi & Install Ubuntu on USB Drive
    I have recently installed Ubuntu 11.10 on to a USB drive based on your excellent description in December 2010 about 'how to avoid Wubi'. (Everything seems to be working as it probably should).
    What I am wondering now is that as the Bootloader is located in the MBR (ie. sdb) on the USB is it possible to install a second operating system (eg. Fedora 16 desktop) on to the same USB (subject to the USB being big enough) so that when the Grub2 menu appears it may be possible to choose between Ubuntu (from the USB), Windows (from the HDD) and, say, Fedora (from the same USB)?
    (At the moment I have put Fedora 16 on to a second USB - I am simply trying out both Ubuntu and Fedora for the first time to see which one I will stick with for the future but it would help if I could choose them from the same USB rather than needing 2 USB's).
    davidc
    Hi there

Thanks for your nice word and for your post.

Yes, you can and it's really great idea to do that.
    I haven't tested Fedora 16 yet and not sure what they have done with the option whether to install or not to install the bootloader? Fedora, unlike Ubuntu and its variant, gives you an option to install its bootloader to the MBR or NOT to install it at all. With Ubuntu and its variant, if you won't install the bootloader to the MBR then you must install the bootloader to the same partition where you have installed your system on.

Fedora 16 now uses GRUB2 (finally) and I need to test that.
    Anyway, whether Fedora still have the same previous options, just make sure not to install its bootloader to the MBR of your USB.

After Fedora's installation is done, reboot, login to Ubuntu and run "sudo update-grub" and that should do the job.

Sadly, I don't have large size USB Drive to test that. Theoretically, that should work.

Please let me know if you need more assistance

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Hi!, amijawad,

I have just completed the full installation and update of Ubuntu 11.10 to 3.0.0-15, using your brilliant HowTo. More than 320 updated packages. It takes up 3.13GiB so even if there was a Swap file of only 512 MB, it would be very tight on a 4GB USB drive.

I used an 8GB USB with 4.4GB partition for Linux, – as recommended as an “At Least” in the 11.10 installation instructions – a 2GB Swap File and a 1GB Switch file, Fat32, so I can easily transfer data or program files across platforms, without problems, or risk of confusing 'filesystems'.

I undertook the exercise mainly to be able to know what I was about when advising an OP who was having problems:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...ght=installing
    But it is good to have full backup bootable disk that I know will have the right drivers for both WiFi and Video, rather than the minimale Boot disk made by Startup Disk Creator.

I am Posting this to say thank-you, and to suggest that you might want to make a few additions to cover differences in the layout of the 11.10 Installation app in a LiveCD/USB.

Please do not take this as criticism, it is that I still remember the difficulties I had with making sense of instructions which did not match the display in front of me; it can be very anxiety-provoking for a Newbie groping in the dark with a non-standard set-up.

For instance, if you do not put something in the boot mount box, you get a message to go back to the Partition Menu and put one in; but going back there is nothing resembling a Menu, in the 11.10 version, you have to Click on the 'Change' button to enter the change page.

First: your stage 8 para, I found very ambiguous, as it sys “ the CD-DRIVE will be first”, and then says “the USB-Drive must be first and then the Internal HDD after that”.

Second: Stage 20 “Now, you need to right click on /dev/sdb1 and choose change“. This is no longer the case. You select – Left-Click - on the chosen entry and select the 'Change' Button below. Right-Click does nothing.

Third: Stage 22-” Now, please may I have you attention here?
    This is the most important step in the whole guide.
    …....In the bottom, you see "Advanced ..." right? okay, click on that one.“ This and the para that follows is not so either, there is a Boot Loader Box below on the same page, titled as you state, with a drop-down list. The list of actions is visible below, but no Advanced option nor extra page.

Minor point: the 'Install' button actually says “Install Now”.

25 Stage: and Congratulations to you too, for producing a very valuable HowTo !!

Chao!, bogan
    "Better Solutions may bring Worsened Problems": After Lao Tse, b. circa 405BC. a contemporary of Confucius, who died circa 600BC.
    They did things differently in those days, apparently!!

Beans

Smile Re: HOW TO Avoid Wubi & Install Ubuntu on USB Drive

hi there i have a 1 terabit hard drive that i use for back ups and stuff for windows. i was wondering is there a whey to install ubuntu to it and also keep it as my back up drive for windows as well?. i want to try out ubuntu the right whey. thanks for all the help you can offer and god bless.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by ytkuser12 View Post
    hi there i have a 1 terabit hard drive that i use for back ups and stuff for windows. i was wondering is there a whey to install ubuntu to it and also keep it as my back up drive for windows as well?. i want to try out ubuntu the right whey. thanks for all the help you can offer and god bless.
    If you put a ext type partition needed for ubuntu at the front of the drive windows will not be able to read it or the rest of the drive. It would have to be at the end of the drive if it is a ntfs now.

Beans

forgive me if i sound dumb but i'm all new to this partition stuff how to do this? is there a quid for how to partition a drive and install for back of drive?. or should i just use wubi in my situation?. i want to get the full use out of it like install native video card drivers for ubuntu and stuff. i'm afraid if i use wubi i wont be able to do that.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by ytkuser12 View Post
    forgive me if i sound dumb but i'm all new to this partition stuff how to do this? is there a quid for how to partition a drive and install for back of drive?. or should i just use wubi in my situation?. i want to get the full use out of it like install native video card drivers for ubuntu and stuff. i'm afraid if i use wubi i wont be able to do that.
    I would not use a backup drive for a install, that’s me personally, I could with no problems, but from your description I would not recommend it for you.

All the same hardware is used in wubi, it is just a file in windows rather then in a partition. Good way to check it out though, and the wubi can be moved to a partition once you feel you want that and feel confident in doing partitioning.

There is a thread on the forum for transferring wubi's as well.

The right way would be just a partitioned install to the internal HD, or at least more common.

Really if you want to do anything hear start a thread of your own. It will be easier for people to help.

Beans

Question Re: HOW TO Avoid Wubi & Install Ubuntu on USB Drive

Hi, everyone.

I'm new to Ubuntu and new to these forums. I know that this is a pretty old thread, but I have a question about the partitions described in this installation process, and I 'm hoping someone can help me out.

I've been trying out Ubuntu from the Live CD and I love it, but I need to keep Windows (sadly) to run some of the software that I need. I'd like to run Ubuntu from a persistent USB drive so I can have the awesome-ness that is Ubuntu without screwing with my Windows OS. I searched around, and this seems to be one of the best, most clearly written set of instructions online on how to do what I'm trying to do. But there's just one thing I don't understand. I'm a total newbie to working with partitions. I do understand that I make an ext4 primary partition on my USB drive to serve as my root partition, which will hold the Ubuntu OS files. I also have read about swap partitions and understand that I need to make one. However, I have seen other instructions online that say to create a third partition to save things in (downloaded applications, created files, whatever). With the method described in this thread, with just two partitions created on the USB drive, where do things get saved? In the root directory along with the OS files? Or do I need another partition if I want to save all my Ubuntu-related files to the USB drive? If so, how do I make this partition? I've seen several comments mentioning a third partition that is FAT32 file system. Is this what I need?

Thanks!!!
    tolbert

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234