Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: From what career background do YOU come from?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: From what career background do YOU come from?

1. BS in Computer Science with a MS in Computer Science in progress. CS is indeed a lot of math. I wouldn't say I went into CS to learn about Linux, but Linux did inspire me to go into CS.

2. Software Engineer

3. I would have gotten in CS a lot earlier. I am literally in love with the field of Computer Science.
    Last edited by phrostbyte; December 23rd, 2010 at 05:02 AM.
    Proud GNU/Linux zealot and lover of penguins
    "Value your freedom or you will lose it, teaches history." --Richard Stallman

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

My knowledge of computer especially hardware are mostly self taught. I wish I could go back in time to study computer science. But it was my passion that wanting me to learn more about computer. I believe if you enjoy and passionate enough about the subject than it shouldn't be difficult for you. Anyway, good luck to you and hope it turns out well.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

1. Did you major in Computer Science to acquire the skills you have to alter Linux systems? If so, is CS heavy on mathematics?

--No I didn't go to Uni. The course I wanted to do was undersubscribed. Picked up linux user knowledge from the internet.

2. What type of job do you have at the moment?

-- Customs: finding illegal goods at import/export, getting suspects to Court.

3. If you could have done something differently what would it be?

-- Would have taken the IT route with my current job when I started and gravitated to computer forensics and then maybe have taken those skills to the private sector.

Beans

Me, I'm just a lawn mower - you can tell me by the way I walk.
    Last edited by handy; December 23rd, 2010 at 09:59 AM. Reason: spelling

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Philosopher.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by handy View Post
    Me, I'm just a lawn mower - you can tell me by the way I walk.
    Yay Genesis!

On topic, I'm currently studying for a BS in Computer Science. All my Linux experience has been self-taught though. Probably lots of CS programs are perhaps justifiably focused on landing a job or internship, thus focusing more on Software Engineering in a corporate environment, but I like understanding the little details of how the system works so I do a lot of extracurricular stuff with Linux and identify more with the stereotypical hacker/nerd type.

The math involved would vary depending on how theoretical you get. If you're doing research on algorithms and stuff I would imagine the math gets pretty intense, but if you're working on an end-user program like a game or office suite or something it isn't too bad (unless you're doing physics simulation or something). However, the jobs where you're just coding an application (say my professors) are precisely the ones that anyone could do and get outsourced all the time.

If I had to do everything over I would have started earlier, like someone above me said. I didn't do anything with computers except play games and use Word until I entered college, so I basically started at square one and had a lot of catching up to do.
    Last edited by VorpalBunny; December 24th, 2010 at 09:06 AM.

Beans

Well done, off their first LP too.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I'm currently studying Computer Science with a strong leaning towards Artificial Intelligence. My University do emphasise Unix ability and in the first year have a course that focuses on being able to use the terminal effectively and so on. Sometimes things feel a little diluted due to a lowering of the entry barrier but overall I like Computer Science and the theoretical side of things as opposed to the learning to write business apps side of things. I hope to do a PhD that involves Artificial Intelligence when I graduate. Most of my personal Linux skills are self taught and are continuously improving.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

I'm a service engineer driving round the UK installing/repairing thermoforming machines.

Most of the stuff I've learned on PC's is self taught, there was no PC studies at any of the schools I went to.
    Tell a lie, we had one hour on some BBC model B's... how old am I!!

One thing I have realised, if you really enjoy doing something as a hobby, you most likely won't want to do it as a job!!
    This is from friends who have swapped jobs and wished they hadn't.

Lucky for me there were still apprenticeships, so leaving school went straight to work, with one day a week at college.
    Funny, really happy leaving school then spent the next 7years going to college one day a week, while working the rest of the week.

Would I change anything.....I don't think so, otherwise I wouldn't be where I am now.

Cheers

Ian

Beans

1. Did you major in Computer Science to acquire the skills you have to alter Linux systems?
    I self studies programming out of interest, had a pc and tried to play with it a bit (no games) and got into programming VB in office. Found a job as a beginner programmer with VB com+ and asp then moved to VB.net.
    2. What type of job do you have at the moment?
    The last 4 years I am teaching English in a kindergarten. Funny as you get better at things you start loosing interest because it's just getting boring. Still am a bit of a computer nerd so try to find out more and more about Linux thing (just out of interest as well)
    3. If you could have done something differently what would it be?
    Nothing really, maybe would have gone to University or finished high school. I ended up working together with BA degree people but their salary was higher because they've studied. The longer I worked the more I got to do and the higher the salary got but would have started out much better if I only had a BA or at least some degree. Now have MCSD certification but didn't bother to do the new MCSD for .net.

My interest in computers leaned toward programming rather than maintaining them. If you want to learn programming I suggest following the Java tutorial from beginning to end. They have great forums.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast