Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: questions on macbookpro 6,2: temp sensors, nvidia display, boot errors

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

questions on macbookpro 6,2: temp sensors, nvidia display, boot errors

Hi.

I have recently installed Ubuntu Maverick 10.10 in my macbookpro 6,2 (15 inch i5). (OS X is ok, but I like Ubuntu very much, besides, being used to Ubuntu, I found some OS X peculiarities very annoying).

It works ok, I followed the instructions in the mactel support wiki for mbp 6,2 maverick.

But, there are some things I'm still in doubt:
    1-When I installed the packages for the apple sensors from the mactel support team, the install asked if the hard drive temperature sensor should run as a daemon or not, it sugested: "in doubt, select no", so i selected the option to not run as a daemon. The wiki did not specify anything about this. Should hddtemp be run as a daemon? what is the recommended setting?

2-The laptop becomes hotter than when using OS X, and macfanctld is installed as told in the wiki. Is there anything else that can be done about it?

3- I have the nvidia driver running as recommended, but the plymouth splash becomes very ugly (a known issue since lucid). There is a "fix" for this, also very known: install v86d, and add some settings in /etc/grub and other files. Is it ok to set this fix to the macbook pro? Or is it not recommended due to the integrated intel gpu?

4- When booting, the system outputs some error messages:
    could not load /lib/modules/2.6.35-23-generic/modules.dep: No such file or directory
    could not load /lib/modules/2.6.35-23-generic/modules.dep: No such file or directory
    intel ips 0000:00:1f.6: failed to get i915 symbols, graphics turbo disabled
    intel ips 0000:00:1f.6: request irq failed, aborting

is there some way to fix this errors? should be ignored?

Thanks in advance

Alejandro

Beans
    Distro

Re: questions on macbookpro 6,2: temp sensors, nvidia display, boot errors

to bump this thread, I will anwer my own question number 2. I found that the macfanctl has a manual page (man macfanctl) in which the author has put useful information for tweaking the settings of cooling.
    This way, I changed some of the default settings, and the laptop now runs cooler.
    The other three questions, I kindly ask if someone can help me.
    Thank you.

Alejandro

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Alejandro Castanaza View Post
    1-When I installed the packages for the apple sensors from the mactel support team, the install asked if the hard drive temperature sensor should run as a daemon or not, it sugested: "in doubt, select no", so i selected the option to not run as a daemon. The wiki did not specify anything about this. Should hddtemp be run as a daemon? what is the recommended setting?
    If not running in daemon mode, programs like sensors-applet will not be able to use hddtemp to query the hdd temperature - however sensors-applet now has support for using udisks so you can probably safely leave this as 'No' - saying 'Yes' simply means hddtemp will run in the background and allow you to query it for temperatures over a local network socket (which is what say sensors-applet does). If you want to enable it in daemon mode, you should be able to run the following:
    Code:
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure hddtemp
    2-The laptop becomes hotter than when using OS X, and macfanctld is installed as told in the wiki. Is there anything else that can be done about it?
    Sounds like you solved this already.

3- I have the nvidia driver running as recommended, but the plymouth splash becomes very ugly (a known issue since lucid). There is a "fix" for this, also very known: install v86d, and add some settings in /etc/grub and other files. Is it ok to set this fix to the macbook pro? Or is it not recommended due to the integrated intel gpu?
    Yes this should be fine to use this fix on the MacBook Pro - I use it on my mine (although mine is a 5,1 not 6,2).

4- When booting, the system outputs some error messages:
    intel ips 0000:00:1f.6: failed to get i915 symbols, graphics turbo disabled
    intel ips 0000:00:1f.6: request irq failed, aborting
    is there some way to fix this errors? should be ignored?
    The first two should be fine to ignore. The second two appear to be that the integrated intel GPU is not initializing, which is to be expected since the discrete NVIDIA GPU is the only one enabled as far as I know when booting Ubuntu so this can also safely be ignored.

Beans
    Distro

thank you for taking the time to answer all the questions.
    I'll try the plymouth fix and come back if something happens. The text plymouth is uglier than the low resolution ubuntu logo that appeared in lucid.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by alexmurray View Post

Yes this should be fine to use this fix on the MacBook Pro - I use it on my mine (although mine is a 5,1 not 6,2).
    Does your Macbook pro 5,1 have integrated and discrete graphics as the 6,2 has?
    (just to make sure )

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Yes (it has an integrated NVIDIA 9400M and a discrete NVIDIA 9600M GT - you know you could just google for the specs if you want.)

Beans
    Distro

yes, sorry. In fact, I did yesterday before I applied the fix for plymouth.
    Anyway I tried and it works ok. Thank you. Also, I reconfigured the hddtemp to run as a daemon and now the sensors applet shows the hdd temp. Thank you again.
    By the way, although the sound works, I have noticed that when turning the computer off with ubuntu, the speakers make a short noise, but when turning off with mac os x, it turns off silently. Is it normal?

Beans
    Distro

...bump...

I have tried muting the speakers but the noise still is there.
    That small instant where the system is physically powering off (not the linux shut down) where the speakers make a very very short noise that would not bother me if it where the same with mac os x.

Beans

to bump this thread, I will anwer my own question number 2. I found that the macfanctl has a manual page (man macfanctl) in which the author has put useful information for tweaking the settings of cooling.
    This way, I changed some of the default settings, and the laptop now runs cooler.
    Hi Alejandro,

I'm running the same setup as you, and really appreciate your comments. Would you be willing to share what changes you've made to the macfanctl settings? I'm not sure what changes are worth making, and it sounds like you've already done some optimization on this problem.

Thanks!

Beans

Hello Alejandro,
    I have the same Macbook pro you have, (6,2 15 ((i7)) and for some crazy reason I can't get the wifi to work. What is/was your solution?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast