Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: questions on macbookpro 6,2: temp sensors, nvidia display, boot errors

Beans

Re: questions on macbookpro 6,2: temp sensors, nvidia display, boot errors

hi,

also have ubuntu running on a Macbook pro 6,2 with i7.
    how is your battery live in average? I get 4h at max.

@Alejandro Castanaza and apfejes
    how did you solve the problem with getting to hot? can you give me a short introduction? would be great!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

well, the macfanctld settings are to keep an average of 45 to 55 degrees, and the cpu and gpu temperature sensors in the range of 50 to 58 degrees.
    Simply editing the macfanctld.conf file to lower those vales, for instance, 5 degrees less on each of the limits, makes the daemon to raise the fans higher to try to keep the macbook cooler.
    Still, the mac os x posibly makes many more things to operate more efficiently, what makes the macbook not only to run cooler, but the battery to last more. It uses the intel integrated graphics if not using too much graphics power, and turns off the nvidia gpu, which consumes more power, and I think it maybe even turns off some other components, which makes it so efficient.
    If that is true, in Linux I don't think there are, yet, those optimizations, and that is why at most, we get up to 4 hours battery life, and the fans run faster and louder than in the mac os x to run just as cool.

Beans
    Distro

Hi. Well, I did not have any problems with wifi. Just installed the propietary drivers as told in the ubuntu mactel documentation. You should check in the propietary drivers if the Broadcom drivers for the wifi card are installed.

Did some of you try to upgrade to 11.04 (Natty) under MacBookPro6,2 ?

I upgraded and then, for independent reasons, I was force to reinstall from scratch and get a lot of trouble with heat control. My MacbookPro6,2 is going really hot since that reinstallation (can not let it on my laps).

For instance macfanctld is not available in the ppa repository for Natty (the one of maverick did not seem to be able to control fans unless you also install apple-smc-dkms from maverick ppa), the nvidia-bl-dkms package available does not control really the LCD backlight (I had to install the mbp-nvidia-bl-dkms from maverick to control it actually) ?

Did some of you make some modifications in the xorg.conf in order to cool the NVIDIA GPU ?
    Last edited by beaufils; June 28th, 2011 at 09:47 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Hi, I am asking the same question. Since the natty guide says our macbookpro 6,2 is partially compatible, I have not upgraded, but the guide only guides through clean install, it does not say anything about upgrading.
    If someone with experience could update the guide so it also includes information about upgrading from the previous distribution, it would be very useful.
    @beaufils:
    for the nvidia gpu, I think the configuration recommended in the guide so that it stays in the lower powermizer level should help keep it cool, but its most the control of the fans.

Beans

Hi all, I thought I'd chime in since I just installed natty (64 bits) on a macbookpro 6,2 and I can confirm that almost everything works exactly like it worked on maverick.

The only thing that's still bothering me is the display backlight : nothing seems to work, display is always at ~50% brightness no matter what I do.

On maverick I could just put the computer to sleep then wake it up and the display would be at 100% brightness, but after applying the ssd fix described in the mactel wiki, sleep doesn't work anymore so now I'm stuck at 50% brightness.

There's one thread that suggests installing mbp-nvidia-bl-dkms so I thought I'd try that and that's when I realized what was going on: none of those packages (nvidia-bl-dkms nor mbp-nvidia-bl-dkms) were available for the 64 bits architecture, neither on maverick nor on natty.

If you're on natty or maverick 64 bits, and can't set the display brightness, you should mark yourself as affected by the following bug:
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/mactel-support/+bug/841611

If you're on natty or maverick 64 bits and you can set the display brightness, please reply to this thread and let me know how you did it, I'll be eternally grateful

Beans
    Distro

Well, I have maverick 64 bits and display brightness works well, I only followed the instructions in the mactel wiki and nothing more.
    As for natty, did you do a clean install or upgraded from maverick?
    I have read natty may corrupt the macbookpro efi firmware. Is that bug solved?

thank you

Beans
    Distro

Bump

Beans

Thanks for your feedback Alejandro.

As for me, I managed to figure it out: I ended up having to manually install the mbp-nvidia-bl package from maverick repositories because the nvidia-bl didn't work (the notifications showed when pressing buttons but brightness didn't really changed)

Also, no firmware corruption here (I installed natty from scratch).

Hope that helps

Beans
    Distro

Thank you darkvad0r,
    I just want to be sure, if someone can tell me if upgrading from Maverick to Natty 64 bits wont corrupt firmware either, it seems like Oneiric is working better with this mbp 6,2 than Natty, right?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast