Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can't get pSX, ePSXe, or PCSX to run at all. Been trying all day, please help!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Can't get pSX, ePSXe, or PCSX to run at all. Been trying all day, please help!

_
    sudo apt-get install -f
    tim@tim-laptop:~$ sudo apt-get install -f
    [sudo] password for tim:
    E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'sudo dpkg --configure -a' to correct the problem.
    tim@tim-laptop:~$ sudo dpkg --configure -a
    Processing triggers for desktop-file-utils ...
    Processing triggers for man-db ...
    Processing triggers for python-gmenu ...
    Rebuilding /usr/share/applications/desktop.en_US.utf8.cache...
    Processing triggers for python-support ...
    tim@tim-laptop:~$ sudo dpkg -i /home/tim/pcsxr_1.9.92-1_i386.deb
    (Reading database ...
    dpkg: warning: files list file for package `pcsxr' missing, assuming package has no files currently installed.
    (Reading database ... 219940 files and directories currently installed.)
    Preparing to replace pcsxr 2:1.9.92-1 (using .../tim/pcsxr_1.9.92-1_i386.deb) ...
    Unpacking replacement pcsxr ...
    _

That's what's up.
    It gets stuck like that.
    Also, now my Update Manager is screwing up...

Anyone? I have no idea what's going on at this point.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: Can't get pSX, ePSXe, or PCSX to run at all. Been trying all day, please help!

I run PCSX and found the easiest way to install and keep updated was the Playdeb repository .

Link
    http://www.playdeb.net/updates/Ubunt...how_to_install

seeing how you have trouble installing deb files you may have to follow the alternative method. also my launch command is "padsp pcsx" due to sound issues. also make sure your using a recommended video card like Nvidia or ATI (no integrated stuff). Best of luck.
    Chris Sheppard
    ( Insert clever tag line here )

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by inkrypted View Post
    I run PCSX and found the easiest way to install and keep updated was the Playdeb repository .

Link
    http://www.playdeb.net/updates/Ubunt...how_to_install

seeing how you have trouble installing deb files you may have to follow the alternative method. also my launch command is "padsp pcsx" due to sound issues. also make sure your using a recommended video card like Nvidia or ATI (no integrated stuff). Best of luck.
    They make plugins for older video cards, though.

Beans
    Distro

Very true the important words being video cards. Not integrated onboard stuff like Intel and the like. Even thought it emulates a PSX which is an older machine it still takes a pretty beefy machine to run it at a descent speed.
    Chris Sheppard

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

So, after doing the things suggested to me on this thread, my Update Manager started saying it could only do a "partial upgrade". I was confused by this. I went ahead and proceeded with the "partial upgrade", and I get this error message:

"Unable to get exclusive lock

This usually means that another package management application (like apt-get or aptitude) already running. Please close that application first."

WTF?!?!?!

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME?! MY COMPUTER IS BLOWING UP! I DON'T CARE ABOUT HAVING AN EMULATOR ANYMORE, I JUST WANT MY SYSTEM RESTORED TO WHERE IT WAS BEFORE I CAME TO THIS FORUM!

Beans
    Distro

That happened to me once and I rescued my system by doing this command in terminal. It reinstalls and reconfigures all packages. Takes a while though.

sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh -a

you might try using this command first though.
    sudo apt-get install -f
    Chris Sheppard

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Looks like I got the Update Manager problem fixed through that command. Thanks!

I think those .deb packages might be outdated or corrupted. That's what makes sense to me. I can't see any other reason why the installer would keep freezing every time it tries to unpack the packages.

What I'm looking for is a new, short and simple tutorial for installing a Playstation emulator on Ubuntu. I've read through a couple existing guides, but they simply didn't work, for whatever reason. I know there are some of you out there that would go about installing it a certain way, and I'm just curious to know what an ideal installation process entails. I don't mind installing it from a compressed file if that's the best way to do it. I could just use some better instructions than the one's I've found thus far. However, it is no longer urgent (nor was it ever in the first place, I suppose), because I think I'm discovering that my video hardware is far too archaic and inferior to perform at the kinds of speeds we're talking about here. Other people might come across this thread for the same reason I posted it, though.

I greatly appreciate any and all help I've had here, and thank you guys taking the time out of your day to help with my silly computer problems.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12