Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can't get pSX, ePSXe, or PCSX to run at all. Been trying all day, please help!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Unhappy Can't get pSX, ePSXe, or PCSX to run at all. Been trying all day, please help!

Hello,

Please forgive me if it's something bone-headed, but I've been trying all day to get a Playstation emulator working. I can't even get any of the programs to start.

First off, YES I understand how the plug-ins work (in ePSXe and PCSX, obviously). YES I (may or may not have) dumped the BIOS and placed it in the correct folder. And YES I checked to make sure all the requirements were set.

I've tried every install guide I could find, but to no avail.

What happens is this:

I get everything installed; all the folders, the BIOS, plug-ins (if necessary) and what-have-you are in place, but when I try to run the executable file for PSX or ePSXe, absolutely nothing happens... whether it be from the terminal or the browser. With PCSX, it brings up the configuration screen, but once I complete it and hit OK (or whatever the button says), the program disappears and again... nothing happens.

I'm running 10.04 (dual booted with XP) on a Dell Latitude from 2006. This is not a configuration issue, mind you.

If anyone has any possible solution, I would really appreciate your help a whole lot. I've spent countless hours trying to play PS on my machine, and I'm getting really close to giving up, at this point.
    Last edited by thenumbereight; December 21st, 2010 at 05:07 AM.

Beans

Re: Can't get pSX, ePSXe, or PCSX to run at all. Been trying all day, please help!

what is 10?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Can't get pSX, ePSXe, or PCSX to run at all. Been trying all day, please help!

Quote Originally Posted by thenumbereight View Post
    Hello,

Please forgive me if it's something bone-headed, but I've been trying all day to get a Playstation emulator working. I can't even get any of the programs to start.

First off, YES I understand how the plug-ins work (in ePSXe and PCSX, obviously). YES I (may or may not have) dumped the BIOS and placed it in the correct folder. And YES I checked to make sure all the requirements were set.

I've tried every install guide I could find, but to no avail.

What happens is this:

I get everything installed; all the folders, the BIOS, plug-ins (if necessary) and what-have-you are in place, but when I try to run the executable file for PSX or ePSXe, absolutely nothing happens... whether it be from the terminal or the browser. With PCSX, it brings up the configuration screen, but once I complete it and hit OK (or whatever the button says), the program disappears and again... nothing happens.

I'm running 10 (dual booted with XP) on a Dell Latitude from 2006. This is not a configuration issue, mind you.

If anyone has any possible solution, I would really appreciate your help a whole lot. I've spent countless hours trying to play PS on my machine, and I'm getting really close to giving up, at this point.
    If the executable doesn't even open then you're missing the dependencies needed to run it. You need:

OpenGL
    ALSA
    GTK
    GTKGLEXT
    libxml2

They should all be in the software centre.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by thatguruguy View Post
    what is 10?
    I was meaning to say that I'm running Lucid Lynx 10.04... though I suppose the sidebar already tells all y'all that, doesn't it? Sorry for the confusion... there are in fact other distros that start in "10." so, I should probably be more specific when referring to it.

Beans

64-bit? 32-bit?

Any error messages when you're running whichever program from the terminal?

For what it's worth, I run pcsx-r without any significant problems. It's available in 64-bit and 32-bit .deb files here. Since .deb files won't install if there are any missing dependencies, that potential problem will be avoided.

Prior to installation, I strongly suggest that you completely remove psx, epsxe and pcsx completely from your system, INCLUDING removing the .pcsx directory from your home folder.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Philsoki View Post
    If the executable doesn't even open then you're missing the dependencies needed to run it. You need:

OpenGL
    ALSA
    GTK
    GTKGLEXT
    libxml2

They should all be in the software centre.

I could've sworn I searched the software center for all 5 dependencies, finding checkmarks on all of them... but I suppose I could have mistook something for something else. I'll check again.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by thatguruguy View Post
    64-bit? 32-bit?

Any error messages when you're running whichever program from the terminal?

For what it's worth, I run pcsx-r without any significant problems. It's available in 64-bit and 32-bit .deb files here. Since .deb files won't install if there are any missing dependencies, that potential problem will be avoided.

Prior to installation, I strongly suggest that you completely remove psx, epsxe and pcsx completely from your system, INCLUDING removing the .pcsx directory from your home folder.
    The only error message I recall when trying to run the programs from the terminal was "no such file or directory exists", which clearly wasn't true, because I was copying and pasting the locations into a txt file, making sure the correct command was typed out, and then copying and pasting into the terminal.

Also, it's 32-bit.

Package Installer is working on installing the 32-bit .deb file, but it's been "unpacking" for a really long time. Is that usual, or is something wrong? Does that mean the dependencies aren't in place? Package Installer is not frozen.

Also, thanks much for the help.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

You may try installing ePSXe 1.6.0 using this deb: http://www.4shared.com/file/EuMKHEJH...-v160_all.html

Or the pcsx-Reloaded deb from here: http://pcsxr.codeplex.com/releases/view/50048

Also, try installing the deb from the command line to see if there are any errors.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by wingnux View Post
    You may try installing ePSXe 1.6.0 using this deb: http://www.4shared.com/file/EuMKHEJH...-v160_all.html

Or the pcsx-Reloaded deb from here: http://pcsxr.codeplex.com/releases/view/50048

Also, try installing the deb from the command line to see if there are any errors.
    Now, I have an entirely different issue and am unable to install from .deb files... woe is me.

It says "Only one software management tool is allowed to run at the same time", but the only software management tool I've run since the last time I had the package installer working was... the same program. It ended up freezing when I gave up on waiting and tried to close it... I've restarted multiple times. I'm sure there's some command I can put in the terminal to fix this, but I don't know what it is. Anyone? It would really suck, being unable to install using .deb files.

Thanks guys!

PS: I do not know how to install a .deb from the command line.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

You may try running:
    sudo apt-get install -f
    to fix any previous install issues
    sudo dpkg -i packagename.deb
    to install a .deb file via the command line

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast