What do you think of it?
    Is it worth the price?
    Best Regards
    Rick

HOW TO For People New to Ubuntu
    Registered linux user #347059

Beans

Re: IntelliJ question?

I am taking a Java course at college and the instructor swears by IntelliJ IDEA. He got a free license for each student in the class. I have been the only holdout in the class, choosing to use Eclipse. I have found that IDEA is much more intuitive than Eclipse, but that I can accomplish all of the same things in Eclipse. To me the IDEA IDE seems natural - commands are where I expect to find them in the menus, whereas Eclipse seems to have a steeper learning curve. Eclipse has their own semantics (workspace, perspectives, views, etc...) that takes some getting used to. Responsiveness and features seem similar between the two. I guess when you are buying IDEA you are buying "intuitiveness" and an easier learning curve. Like I say, my instructor swears by IDEA, but he also agrees that it is similar to making a choice between VI/Emacs. I am sticking it out with Eclipse for the moment as I have gotten used to their methodology ( I just wish their C/C++ plugin worked a bit better - oh and that printing worked.) I guess that is enough rambling.... Good Luck!

Todd Maynard

Beans

Smile Re: IntelliJ question?

Thanks for your input Todd, well apreciated.
    Best Regards
    Rick

HOW TO For People New to Ubuntu
    Registered linux user #347059

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Yukonjack
    Thanks for your input Todd, well apreciated.
    Intellj Idea is more intelligent than eclipse...and it has a powerful plugins manager. I like it!

Beans

I have used both intelliJ and eclipse, and I like them both. intelliJ is better in several ways, but at least for my use it was not so much better than Eclipse that I think it's worth paying for

Depends how much you use it and if you need that extra 'intelligence' If you spend a lot of time with it then it can be worth it .. afterall it doesn't cost that much

Beans

I converted to eclipse from IntelliJ about 18 months ago. IntelliJ is great for refactoring but IMO eclipse wins on everything else.
    Thanks

Klunk