Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: DRM in XP?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: DRM in XP?

Quote Originally Posted by NetInsanity
    Regardless of which OS you are using you will have to have DRM software installed to be able to play DRM protected files, it doesn't matter if it's XP, Vista or Ubuntu.

The same goes for all the new copy protection stuff in Vista, without a player/OS/hardware that supports it you won't be able to play it, if you want to play it you will need to install/upgrade as neccessary, this isn't a windows only thing.
    Not really

Technically is it depends on the particular DRM and whether or not is has been "cracked" (most have). DeCSS and DVDs comes to mind. Legally it depends on where one lives, not all countries have draconian laws such as the United States DMCA.

The sad truth about DRM is that it does little to stop piracy, what it does do is cause many problems for legitimate users who pay for the "protected" content. Take the now infamous SONY rootkit for example.

What is unique about Windows XP and Vista is that the OS itself is crippled by DRM in the form of "product activation" very different from the ability to play protected content.

As for Vista the implementation of DRM in the kernel to meet the requirements of the MPAA can have ramifications well beyond the ability to play protected content, particularly if there are any bugs in the DRM. Something tells me that the Vista delay may be due to buggy DRM.

Beans
    Distro
    Dapper Drake Testing/

Quote Originally Posted by FineE
    Not really

Technically is it depends on the particular DRM and whether or not is has been "cracked" (most have). DeCSS and DVDs comes to mind. Legally it depends on where one lives, not all countries have draconian laws such as the United States DMCA.
    AFAIK DeCSS cannot be distributed legally which is why it's not included in Ubuntu. And while i could ship it i prefer not to because it would mean supporting a CP project.

The sad truth about DRM is that it does little to stop piracy, what it does do is cause many problems for legitimate users who pay for the "protected" content. Take the now infamous SONY rootkit for example.

What is unique about Windows XP and Vista is that the OS itself is crippled by DRM in the form of "product activation" very different from the ability to play protected content.

As for Vista the implementation of DRM in the kernel to meet the requirements of the MPAA can have ramifications well beyond the ability to play protected content, particularly if there are any bugs in the DRM. Something tells me that the Vista delay may be due to buggy DRM.
    I agree entirely, i have already seen HDCP dongels, after that is broken anything can be recorded (in this case from digital source so it's the same quality).

Vista goes a few steps further, the choice of MS to meet the rest of the industry doesn't really come as a surprise.

The amusing part of this is that my 52" flatscreen does not support HDCP so instead of buying the media as i always have, i'll instead bypass all hardware requirements and download the cracked versions for free.

The vista delay isn't a delay, the timetable was an estimate, why is Ubuntu dapper not released in april, same thing, estimates don't always meet the requirements for stability or wish for implemented functionality, that part has nothing to do with the DRM (which in Vista is more related to CP and HDCP and is no longer called DRM).

I do love the stance Vista has taken with MACL and security thinking, it's a step above Linux even with SELinux, for that reason alone i will be purchasing it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

DRM is so futile. No matter how good the protection of an audio file, you can still record it out of your sound card to the same computer, which effectively bypasses the security. Heck, the AAC format gets cracked every time a new version comes out.

When Sony first introduced copy-protected CDs, you could bypass the protection by using a black texta.

The community will crack the monitor protection too. Microsoft doesn't have a very good record with encryption (look at the Xbox), so it'll probably happen within a year. All these companies will be spending big bucks on DRM, which may deter some casual piracy but will not pay for itself in increased sales.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Thumbs down Re: DRM in XP?

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdalbum
    DRM is so futile. No matter how good the protection of an audio file, you can still record it out of your sound card to the same computer, which effectively bypasses the security.
    Actually they are trying to stop that, including camcorders not being able to record from TV. Seriously.

Hollywood Wants to Plug the "Analog Hole"
    http://bpdg.blogs.eff.org/archives/000113.html

Also worth mentioning despite all the documented problems and abuses with the DMCA and it's chilling effect on innovation...

Congress readies broad new digital copyright bill
    http://news.com.com/2100-1028_3-6064...4016&subj=news

I personally don't think this will go through. However, it shows they are puppets to these industries... Sigh, this will destroy culture big time... Anyone live in a nice place that isn't the U.S. or the EU? Where it's legal to watch your DVD's or rip your own cds? Is there such a fantasy place...
    The idea of copyright did not exist in ancient times, when authors frequently copied other authors at length in works of non-fiction. This practice was useful, and is the only way many authors' works have survived even in part. -- Richard Stallman

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by BoyOfDestiny
    ... Anyone live in a nice place that isn't the U.S. or the EU? Where it's legal to watch your DVD's or rip your own cds? Is there such a fantasy place...
    Canada comes close.

Canada has not ratified WIPO yet and the proposed amemdments to the Copyright Act Bill C-60 which contained a much milder version of the US DCMA died with the fall of the past Liberal government.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Is there such a fantasy place...
    Welcome to Switzerland

- trib'

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by tribaal
    Welcome to Switzerland

- trib'
    I'm googling and checking the embassy site for info about living and working in Switzerland... A man can dream ...

Just finished college (a few weeks ago), Information and Computer Science bachelor's degree, can speak english and spanish fluently...
    The idea of copyright did not exist in ancient times, when authors frequently copied other authors at length in works of non-fiction. This practice was useful, and is the only way many authors' works have survived even in part. -- Richard Stallman

Beans
    Hidden!

This has got to be a joke:
    April 26 - World Intellectual Property Day

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by nalmeth
    This has got to be a joke:
    April 26 - World Intellectual Property Day

LOL... I am amused too, on the page:

"Quotes about Creativity [Dowloadable executable file]"

They don't have the quotes listed. You have to download a mysterious binary...

Sigh to honor this day, please share your books, music, games, with other people.

Honestly,

"World Intellectual Property Day is an opportunity to encourage people to think about the role played by intellectual property in everyday life, and about its importance in stimulating and safeguarding innovation and creativity. This year we celebrate the starting point of all intellectual property, the seeds from which all innovations and creative works grow – ideas."

I know copyright can be handy (although I think in many cases it lasts too long), and trademarks too, but IP lumps these with patents... I've yet to see a software patent encourage anything (besides people whining about mp3 playback not being out of the box )
    I'd like some evidence that IP has actually encouraged any sort of innovation. I found a list of the opposite:

http://www.eff.org/IP/DMCA/?f=uninte...sequences.html
    Last edited by BoyOfDestiny; April 24th, 2006 at 09:01 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Vista goes a few steps further, the choice of MS to meet the rest of the industry doesn't really come as a surprise.
    Which is a shame, because Micros~1 with their 90% market share on desktop operating systems could really do something against DRM. But apparently they don't want to.

The vista delay isn't a delay, the timetable was an estimate, why is Ubuntu dapper not released in april, same thing
    Ubuntu will probably be released with a delay of six weeks.
    Vista (back then it only had its codename Longhorn) was originally scheduled for the end of 2002. Now it's 2006 and it's still not finished. That's not the "same thing" as six weeks.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast