Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can no longer boot into Mac partition...

Beans

Can no longer boot into Mac partition...

So yesterday, I installed ubuntu onto a 20gb partition I created on my Macbook pro. Installation went great, but now I can no longer boot into my Mac partition. When booting up if I hold the option key, all that shows up is a lock icon with a white area below which I can type things into. Nothing happens if I do, and there are not hdd showing. The Mac partition is an option on my grub menu, however it hangs when selected and does not end up loading.

Any help?

Note: I am on vacation from school at the moment and my live cds for Mac are in my dorm.

Beans

Re: Can no longer boot into Mac partition...

Anybody? I have looked everywhere but haven't found anything particularly helpful. I've got a report coming up soon and I need to try and get this fixed as my notes, etc. are on my Mac.

Beans

To install Ubuntu on a Mac, you have to follow a special procedure beginning by this page:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MacBookPro

Depending of your Macbook pro version, Grub won't be able to boot into osx and it may be necessary to use refit. If you would have your osx dvd, you can boot with it and recover your booting hability. See this link:

http://hints.macworld.com/article.ph...91111185717745

Can you boot into Ubuntu? From there you can access your datas in your osx partition. Also,maybe you can use refit from a usbstick to boot into osx:

http://refit.sourceforge.net/doc/c1s1_install.html

Hope this helps
    Last edited by arabis; December 22nd, 2010 at 01:45 AM.

Beans

I am going to try the usb thing. I can boot into Ubuntu fine, but I can't seem to access my mac drive. I mount it and can open it, but all the folders show up as empty when I open them.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Right click the folders on the mac partition and choose 'open as admin'.

Beans

Well now I'm back on campus and have my Mac OS X install dvd, but for some reason it can't be booted from and instead I get loaded straight into grub.

How do I boot from the cd?

Beans

Well I can boot from my ubuntu live cd, however my Mac OS X install dvd as well as my Snow Leopard dvd both remain unbootable... even in a virtual machine running on my computer.

Beans

Did you try to press "c" when starting your macbook with your livecd of osx?

Beans

I've tried holding "c" down and it works with my ubuntu live cd, but not my Mac OS X dvd. I've also tried holding down the option key to select boot drives, but instead get a picture of a lock with a password bar underneath (typing "apple" doesn't work).

Beans

Maybe you can try to reset your PRAM:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1379

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast