Thread: Problem Duel Booting

Beans

Problem Duel Booting

Hi guys i'm new and wanted to try duel booting Ubuntu on my mac book.

So i downloaded the 64bit edition of ubuntu burned it to a cd as an ISO then installed.
    After i updated ubuntu this morning my system wouldn't boot at all either ubuntu or OSX 10.6 (snow leopard). I tried the live CD for ubuntu wouldn't boot, i tried the mac OSX cd and it wouldn't boot. I tried opening disk utilities by holding C when booting, i tried forcing a boot by holding x and still no luck. Finally i had to remove the disk and using my spare enclosure for 2.5 stata drives, i removed the hard drive and had to manually format it on my GF's mac using it as a external drive.

This has solved my problem i was able to reinstall mac OSX and then upgraded to 10.6 again and finally migrate all my files from a back up along with settings over.

My question is how might i prevent this from happening in the future. Also i don't know what happened i assume something over written the EFI boot loader or something like that. I'm trying to learn so any info into what happened would help me out or pointers on what i did wrong or if there was a alternative method to fixing what happened.

So if i was going to try to reinstall ubuntu how might i go differently to prevent complications? Also i do mapping work and use GIS software so i'd like to also have windows on my laptop, is there a way i can tri-boot with out having to load an additional boot loader to the bootcamp one?

Thanks Hurst.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: Problem Duel Booting

Hi. Have a look at the community tutorial here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MacBookPro

That should get you up to speed. If you have further questions, post again.

BTW, if something ever happens again, instead of removing the HD, try using another mac as a Host and booting your mac into Target Disc mode. You can do this by connecting your mac to the Host machine via firewire, then booting your mac while depressing the T key. Your mac will show up on the Host mac as a HD and you should be able to run Disk Utility from there.

Hope this helps.