Thread: CPU usage randomly and rapidly tops off

Beans

Question CPU usage randomly and rapidly tops off

I'm not a knowledge box on the subject. But I am trying to confirm whether or not I am having hardware issues or if there is something wrong with my system configuration.

Both in windows and in ubuntu, when running basic programs like firefox, chrome, or bittorrent the CPU usage shoots up to 100% for a period of between 1 and 4 minutes. During this time, even basic computing is impossible. Text input takes several seconds, and the mouse is clumsy and impossible to control. Programs are unresponsive, videos and music glitch out. Then after a few moments, everything goes back to normal.

Is there a way to test the "integrity" of my CPU? Or if it messed up is there a way to fix it without replacing it?
    HP Pavilion dv9740us with dual boot SATA XP and Ubuntu 10.10. 3G DDR2 RAM, Intel Core 2 Duo T5450 / 1.67 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GS @ 512MB

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: CPU usage randomly and rapidly tops off

on linux your system possibly might be running an update.

i'm not sure what your problem could be other than that, but if you can open up a terminal and type 'top', you can see whats eating most of your CPU power. if its a python script, its most likely an update to the upgrade list.