Thread: LMMS versus JACK and Rosegarden

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

LMMS versus JACK and Rosegarden

Hi all,

I'm not a musician or composer, but I've had a crack at producing music from time to time on various Windows audio trackers/sequencers and the other day I fancied a bash on my main operating system Kubuntu.

I poked around the web and found references to Rosegarden, MusE, MilkyTracker and Schism Tracker. After installing Rosegarden and MusE I found out that I had to have JACK installed and running as well. Not only with JACK, but also QSynth for MIDI synthesis.

And even then after tinkering around with these I still couldn't get any audio. Apparently, I had to install a low resolution kernel, but even after doing so there was no change in circumstances.

So, in the eleventh hour, just as I was about to call it a day and forget about music production on Linux, I did one last search on Google for Rosegarden alternatives and came across this page:-

http://alternativeto.net/desktop/rosegarden/

The first in the list at the time of writing is some software called LMMS (Linux Multimedia Studio). I got it from the repositories with:-

Code:
    sudo aptitude install lmms
    I fired it up and took a gasp at the gorgeous looking interface, very similar to Hydrogen (a drum kit based sequencer). After taking a few minutes to get used to the interface I wanted to see what MIDI facilities it has. I found that it could use Soundfont files which I previously installed with:-

Code:
    sudo aptitude install fluid-soundfont-gs fluid-soundfont-gm
    The Soundfont files will be located in :-

Code:
    /usr/share/sounds/sf2/
    In LMMS on the left hand side I saw a column of speaker icons. To expand the Instruments Plugins panel I clicked on the top most icon. In that panel was a section called Sf2 Player. I hovered the cursor over that section and it automatically expanded. Then I dragged that section across to the left hand pane of the Song Editor window and now I had a track for MIDI output. Whoopee!

However, before getting it to work I had to point that track in the location of the Soundfonts files, which I mentioned earlier. By clicking on its name of Default Preset I got a little window where I gave it the location of the Soundfont files and which patch/instrument to use. Not only that, but in that window there were a ton of fancy options to play with, like chrous and refurb and envelopes and what not.

Overall, an excellent piece of software!
    Last edited by sulligogs; January 24th, 2010 at 12:58 PM.

Beans

Re: LMMS versus JACK and Rosegarden

Thanks for that, sulligogs. Saved me a lot of time.