Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: need help Configuring the Jack

Beans

Question need help Configuring the Jack

Im new to ubuntu I have the latest versions installed. I dont know much about ubuntu but I just cant seem to find or fix this problem.
    When I start up ardour for recording. pops this up

There are several possible reasons:

1) You requested audio parameters that are not supported..
    2) JACK is running as another user.

Please consider the possibilities, and perhaps try different parameters.

So looking to fix this problem I came across this http://www.ardour.org/node/2384
    I typed in the terminal fuser /dev/snd/pcmC0D0p and it said 1900m tried it a different time and it shows 4405m but Im unable to kill these or not even really sure if I should or if im just typing the commands wrong, idk .

Then I start seeing stuff about Qjackctl (Jack Control). I have it downloaded and Ive seen in some post that I should start that up before starting ardour. Im confused on setting this up. In the jack control I clicked on Connect, clicked on ALSA tab, and I see my interface there. Im using alesis io2 interface connected usb. So what I did here was clicked on io|2 in the ouput port, and also in the input port that was shown in the ALSA tab. then i press connect, is this what Im supposed to be doing?
    So clicking on start when doing that setting I get this

Could not connect to JACK server as client.
    - Overall operation failed.
    - Unable to connect to server.
    Please check the messages window for more info.

Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: need help Configuring the Jack

hi somuchdirt74
    are you trying to capture audio or midi. As far as my experience goes with JACK I've only used the ALSA tab in the connection dialog to set up midi connections.
    Regarding recording audio into Ardour.
    I first start JACK, then Ardour
    In Adrour click Add track/Buss, Add a track
    In Ardour click Window > Show Mixer
    In the Ardour Mixer Under the name of the track that I just created (eg Audio 1) is a button with some text on it (depending on your configuration it could say something like 3/4 or 1/2) click that button and choose Edit.
    This brings up the track input dialog box.
    I use a Lexicon Omega Audio Interface which allows me to record up to four tracks simultaneously. So for example if I want to record bus 1 or system:capture_1 as it's called on my setup. I click whatever is listed in the "in 1" field to remove it, then click system tab and choose capture_1. you can also route two inputs into a track this way, if you like by using a stereo track in the Add track/Buss dialogue.
    once you have that setup recording is pretty straight forward, click the record button on the track them click the record transport button, then the play transport button.
    hope that helps?

Beans

Yes I'm trying to record audio, and thanks. When ardour had little startup window it list the driver, interface sample rate etc so I just change the interface to usb audio, started up jack before I run ardour and yeah Im finally able to get ardour opened up, without doing this im unable to open ardour, and also please let me know if need to use a different driver other than ALSA in the menu I was talking about for recording audio. Thanks for your input as of right now Im not able to test for sound but Im sure if I do what you told me it should work, cause I see what your talking about when it comes to add the track and edit, if im unable to get it to work Ill let ya'll know..

but now I get this message before ardour opens up

WARNING: Your system has a limit for maximum amount of locked memory.
    This might cause Ardour to run out of memory before your system runs out of memory.

You can view the memory limit with 'ulimit -l', and it is normally controlled by /etc/security/limits.conf

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hi,

You start the jackd server (which ardour needs) either by means of qjackctl (aka Jack Control) or by means of the audio configuration tab in ardour. Both are front-ends to set the options and parameters for jackd but they can have different default settings, particularly, the realtime option.

The realtime option means that jackd can be run with realtime priority (not to be confused with the realtime kernel) but, normally by default in a Linux system, a user can not run apps with realtime priority. The same for memlock.

In short, jackd needs that the user who runs it has rtprio and memlock unlimited (or a high value of RAM) privileges. jackd can be run in non realtime mode but it is not recommended (you risk lots of xruns or drop-outs even at high latency).

The way to achieve this is documented in more than a few forum threads, jackaudio site, etc. Look at the message window of Jack Control and check if there is a message like "cannot use realtime scheduling...".

Your card is supported by the alsa driver. So yes, use the alsa driver. However, note that in the connection window "alsa" does not refer to the driver but to the (alsa)-midi ports. You should see the audio ports in the audio tab.

What ubuntu version are you running?
    Last edited by Pablo_F; December 9th, 2010 at 12:31 AM.

Beans

thanks.I am using ubuntu 10.10 the Maverick Meerkat this is what I did recently to fix the error

sudo dpkg-reconfigure -p high jackd2
    Then I chosed yes,"you want to lock down memory and have rtprio scheduling privilege."

sudo adduser Lee audio

When I started up ardour that message doesnt pop up anymore
    However Im still unable to test for sound at the moment.

I dont know if Jack is running properly here are the messages.

p, li { white-space: pre-wrap; } 19:26:29.793 Patchbay deactivated.
    19:26:29.795 Statistics reset.
    Cannot connect to server socket err = No such file or directory
    Cannot connect to server socket
    jack server is not running or cannot be started
    19:26:29.869 ALSA connection graph change.
    19:26:30.038 ALSA connection change.
    19:26:35.107 Startup script...
    19:26:35.108 artsshell -q terminate
    Cannot connect to server socket err = No such file or directory
    Cannot connect to server socket
    jack server is not running or cannot be started
    sh: artsshell: not found
    19:26:35.511 Startup script terminated with exit status=32512.
    19:26:35.511 JACK is starting...
    19:26:35.512 /usr/bin/jackd -dalsa -r44100 -p1024 -n2 -D -Chw:1,0 -Phw:1,0
    19:26:35.516 JACK was started with PID=1913.
    no message buffer overruns
    no message buffer overruns
    jackdmp 1.9.6
    Copyright 2001-2005 Paul Davis and others.
    Copyright 2004-2010 Grame.
    jackdmp comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
    This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
    under certain conditions; see the file COPYING for details
    JACK server starting in realtime mode with priority 10
    audio_reservation_init
    Acquire audio card Audio1
    creating alsa driver ... hw:1,0|hw:1,0|1024|2|44100|0|0|nomon|swmeter|-|32bit
    Using ALSA driver USB-Audio running on card 1 - Alesis io|2 at usb-0000:00:1d.2-1, full speed
    configuring for 44100Hz, period = 1024 frames (23.2 ms), buffer = 2 periods
    ALSA: final selected sample format for capture: 24bit little-endian
    ALSA: use 2 periods for capture
    ALSA: final selected sample format for playback: 24bit little-endian
    ALSA: use 2 periods for playback
    19:26:37.693 Server configuration saved to "/home/lee/.jackdrc".
    19:26:37.695 Statistics reset.
    19:26:37.714 Client activated.
    19:26:37.742 JACK connection change.
    19:26:37.770 JACK connection graph change.
    19:26:48.523 ALSA connection graph change.
    19:26:48.557 ALSA connection change.
    19:26:49.103 JACK connection graph change.
    19:26:57.144 JACK connection graph change.
    19:26:57.621 JACK connection graph change.
    19:26:57.772 JACK connection change.
    alsa_driver_xrun_recovery
    **** alsa_pcm: xrun of at least 0.177 msecs
    19:29:16.258 XRUN callback (1).
    JackPosixMutex::Unlock res = 1
    JackAudioDriver:rocessAsync: read error, skip cycle
    19:31:02.491 JACK connection graph change.
    19:31:02.646 JACK connection change.
    alsa_driver_xrun_recovery
    **** alsa_pcm: xrun of at least 0.109 msecs
    JackAudioDriver:rocessAsync: read error, skip cycle
    19:35:28.043 XRUN callback (2).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hi,

Jack is up and running. Try playing an audio file with aqualung and make sure aqualung's output are connected to system: playbacks in the audio tab of qjackctl connections window.

Or import a wav file into ardour.

It is strongly recommended that you use the card name, not the card number in qjackctl. Why? Because card numbers can change when you reboot the computer (well, you can fix that in a conf file, but use names anyway, it is easier and safer) . How? Take a look at the terminal output of "cat /proc/asound/cards" . "arecord -l" and "aplay -l" are very useful too. Copy-paste them here if you wish.

Cheers, Pablo
    Last edited by Pablo_F; December 10th, 2010 at 04:06 PM.

Beans

Thank you, I've tried recording through it and its working, only problem is that when I go back to the recording there some parts where it messes up (sounds like its skipping) especially when I do another track while one is playing, but Im thinking my laptop is just too slow or can't handle it or something I only have a 1g of ram

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Lightbulb Re: need help Configuring the Jack

Don't use JACK or Ardour - that's the best solution to this problem. Speaking as someone who does professional audio exclusively on Linux (including composition and full project recording/arranging) systems, neither of these technologies are worth anything (Ardour mostly because it relies on JACK, which is just shy of totally worthless). I really can't understand for the life of me why they're even things, to be honest. Don't mean to step on anyone's toes here, but seriously... Instead, familiarize yourself with programs like Audacity and LMMS - mostly Audacity, especially for recording; it's ugly, but damn if it don't get the job did.

Good luck!

Beans

Well to be honest idiotfowl thats one of the reasons why I tried out Ubuntu and just to try out the OS to see if I like it but I dig it. Ive tried recording with audacity, and good number of other recording software out there that were "professional" but they all did the same thing with this problem, ubuntu was just a hope to me when it came down to fixing it haha I just wanted something to record for demos that doesnt have horrible quality, but I guess its back to the 4 track for me.
    Thanks everyone for the support.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Hi somuchdirt74
    it seems like you are encountering xruns during recording. Yes you are absolutely correct in assuming that system specs play a part in this, a faster cpu and more RAM would help (in a perfect world)... but if you that's not possible in JACK you can click on the setup button and in the setup dialog box you should be able to find two settings called Frames/Period and secondly Periods/Buffer.
    The idea here is to get Frames/Period to be as high as possible without experiencing xruns and to keep Periods/Buffer to the lowest number without experiencing xruns.
    In Jack in JACK if you click on thee messages button while JACK is active JACK will print something like this
    Code:
    **** alsa_pcm:xrun of at least 0.017 msecs
    when an xrun occurs. If this happens start by increasing the Periods/Buffer setting by 1 unit. Then try record or playback again of whatever was causing the xrun. If you still get xruns try dropping the Frames/Period setting, then testing again... you get the point
    on my system that is a intel coreII duo with 2 GB RAM my Frames/Period are set to 512 and Periods/Buffer is set to 2. This allows me to have multiple tracks playing in ardour, with multiple tracks in rosegarden including external synths such as zynaddsubfx playing back without any xruns.
    Also please note that when you modify these settings you compromise on Realtime interaction and increase the risk of noticable Latency. Keep an eye on the bottom right hand section of the JACK setup dialog, it estimates what the Latency on your system currently might be based on the settings mentioned above and yes, taking into consideration your system specs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast