Thread: BIOS Clock Running Fast

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Exclamation BIOS Clock Running Fast

Hey all,

Haven't been able to find anything about this on the net so far. I have a Dell OptiPlex GX1 (CPU: Pentium II, 500Mhz). It's very old, and a while ago I installed an old version of Ubuntu on it. While it is switched on and booted up, everything is fine, however the trouble is when it is switched off, or just in BIOS.

The BIOS clock appears to be running at about 60x speed (eg minutes like seconds, hours like minutes). This happens both when switched off and when observing the clock from the BIOS menu. I really don't know what to do about this, and it's causing alot of problems, I've even had it get to the point where the system clock reset itself and would not recognise the OS as valid.

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks in advance
    Metapixel Script Generation Engine
    My Ubuntu Support Site - helpbuntu.mstrutt.co.uk
    My Photography Gallery - digital.mstrutt.co.uk
    Help me test my new website

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: BIOS Clock Running Fast

have you changed the inner battery ? this can cause such problems.
    It's a little chrome thing attached to you motherboard. Ubuntu has NO software nor settings for the BIOS ! So I think that's an option to disassemble the laptop and change the inner little battery .

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: BIOS Clock Running Fast

I have a GX1 as well. It's a PIII, 500 MHz. I have Mint4 XFCE running on it (based on G-ubuntu--whatever came after Feisty). I don't remember what kind of battery it has--I presume it's a 3V coin style. I haven't had any problems with the clock running the older kernels. The machine is too slow to really deal with later distros.
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.