Thread: Need help with SimpleBackup please

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Need help with SimpleBackup please

Hi all, I need to back-up my /home approx. once a week and for this reason I installed SimpleBackup to take care of this. I want the app to back-up to my external drive. This is a new drive which I formatted to ext4 and named it UbuntuBU. Setting up the Simple Backup suite and under the Tab "Destination" I choose "use custom local backup directory" and point the program to the partition I want on the external drive. I then get the following message:
    "The selected destination is not writable with current permissions. Backups cannot be stored there"
    Question: How and where do I now need to change the permissions so that I can backup to this drive? How do I solve this problem?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Need help with SimpleBackup please

...haven't tried simplebackup as of yet, but i'd suppose the external drive is mounted before you did the backup process...permission can be done by editing the drive properties..

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I cannot change the permissions as I am told that I am not the "0wner" The owner is shown as "Root"

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

You will need to change the ownership of the folder where the external drive is mounted, so find where that is by plugging in the drive and checking that /media/UbuntuBU exists.

Assuming it does, you should be able to change ownership with
    Code:
    sudo chown username:username /media/UbuntuBU
    You may also need to change the permissions with the chmod command, but I think chown should do it for you.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Hi ajgreeny, Thank you very much for your help. The code you provided was spot-on. I am now happy to say that thanks to your help, the back-up is now in process. It is very nice to have people such as yourself around, willing to help others. Have a nice day and thank you once again.