Thread: Printing from windows 7 to a CUPS server

Printing from windows 7 to a CUPS server

the other day i set up a cups server, i have the printer going, drivers installed. i can print find from the ubuntu machine itself, but i want to be able to print from my laptop, running windows 7. how do i do that? and, if possible i dont want instructions to be as specific as possible. thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Printing from windows 7 to a CUPS server

While there may be a way to make Windows talk directly to the Cups server, I generally install a Samba server and use it to interface with Cups and export the printer into the same workgroup as the Windows machine.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

You had better do some research on the Microsoft sites. Microsoft tech support have indicated that Windows 7 is a client OS and have removed IPP from Windows 7. Printing from XP is fine tho. If you have windows 7 and want to print to a LAN connected device, it appears Micro$oft want you to buy their server OS so you can print from Windows 7.

regards

gmaro, thanks for the info, but im afraid i may need a little more. iv you have done this before, might you be able to tell me how to? or perhaps give me some documentation?

thanks

i have just installed samba, and now i can see my server on my windows machine. i can also see the printer, but it gives me an error when i try to connect, i have a theory that its to do with authentication, but i dont know for sure, and i dont know how to authenticate myself on the local machine.

Beans

You can print from Windows 7 client to Ubuntu CUPS server. It wasn't any harder than setting up in WinXP.

I setup cups from Ubuntu gui but it didn't work for some reason. So I did the following.

Assuming you have samba and cups installed and running,
    (sudo apt-get install cups samba .... or whatever)

1. Samba
    Edit /etc/samba/smb.conf
    Search for "CUPS Printing" section
    Uncomment:
    printing = cups
    printcap name = cups

2. CUPS
    Edit /etc/cups/cupsd.conf
    Uncomment/add:
    Browsing On
    BrowseAllow all
    BrowseAddress 192.168.1.* # or your network address
    <Location />
    Order allow,deny
    Allow all
    </Location>

This is the very basic setup to get you printing with minimal configuration. Once you check it works, you can tweak it. Or not.

After restarting samba and cupsd, Win 7/XP should detect your cups server when you browse for network printer. Make sure you have the correct printer driver installed in Windows. (I chose the closest model I could find and it still worked.)

Hope it helps.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by drdos2006 View Post
    You had better do some research on the Microsoft sites. Microsoft tech support have indicated that Windows 7 is a client OS and have removed IPP from Windows 7. Printing from XP is fine tho. If you have windows 7 and want to print to a LAN connected device, it appears Micro$oft want you to buy their server OS so you can print from Windows 7.

regards
    That's a bogus technote, sometimes MS's left hand and right hand don't communicate well.

On the win7 machine:

You have to enable the IPP client under print services and restart print spooler (or reboot)

You also need to punch a firewall hole for port 631 so that the winbox can see port 631 broadcasts.

Beans

Printing from windows 7 to a CUPS server

my client using win 7, and server using samba cups.
    printer from client using shared printer on server.
    sometimes shared printer on server not shown so i can't print
    from client, but if I print using cups to server no problem.
    Question: why printer on server not shown from client, thx