Thread: Looking for a password generator/manager

Beans
    Hidden!

Looking for a password generator/manager

I'm running Kubuntu 10.10 64-bit. The recent Gawker leak (which affected me, unfortunately) has me on edge about my passwords, and another site I frequent had one of its admin accounts compromised (likely due to the Gawker leak).

I'm curious if there is a program, preferably Qt4-based, that can not only generate passwords but also let me store them and list them based on what sites they belong to. It will also be great if there's a Firefox add-on that does the same thing.

I have difficulty remembering complex passwords, but I'm getting really paranoid about my password security, and I think I need a better solution than what I'm doing now. I need more secure passwords, but I also need a way to easily look them up.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Looking for a password generator/manager

For password generator you can use pwgen
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install pwgen
    I personally prefer keepassx for storing my passwords.You can try it,
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install keepassx

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

keepassx can also generate passwords. And, obviously, I would also recommend it.

Beans
    Hidden!

Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Zeikcied View Post
    I'm curious if there is a program, preferably Qt4-based, that can not only generate passwords but also let me store them and list them based on what sites they belong to. It will also be great if there's a Firefox add-on that does the same thing.
    Firefox built-in password manager can do that. The only thing it doesn't do is generate random passwords. You can do that with Hash Password Generator

However, since you are using KDE, you already have an excellent password manager, that integrates with the platform. It is called KWallet.

You can even store Firefox's passwords in Kwallet, using KDE Wallet password integration. However, I would be cautious about that extension, because it doesn't work on Firefox 4 and that was a version that deleted Firefox passwords. So, backup your profile before using it.
    Last edited by lovinglinux; December 19th, 2010 at 01:09 PM.