Thread: Have Google Chrome prompt for profile

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Lightbulb Have Google Chrome prompt for profile

Rumor has it that one of my favorite web services del.icio.us may be getting the ax from Yahoo. The firefox delicious extension was the only reason I hadn't switched to Chrome. (Couldn't find a Chrome extension I liked)

Now I've migrated my bookmarks to Google Bookmarks, found a nice Google Bookmarks Chrome extension, and made the switch.

Where I run into problems is my workplace uses Google Apps for email. So I have 2 Google accounts my personal Gmail account and my work account. I'd like to separate the 2 when using chrome which I've found is fairly straight forward. You create a separate chrome profile and then have to create a separate launcher for your new profile.

I would like to script something to prompt me to choose a profile, then launch chrome using said profile.

I'm pretty weak with my bash scripting and have never even attempted a nautilus script.

Any suggestions?

-DW

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Have Google Chrome prompt for profile

Does the chrome command take any commandline parameters? If so, then you could create two desktop launchers. Each would have the work or personal profile commandline flag (if such a flag exists). If chrome is already running in one profile and you try to launch in another profile, I'm not sure what would happen.
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by tgalati4 View Post
    Does the chrome command take any commandline parameters? If so, then you could create two desktop launchers. Each would have the work or personal profile commandline flag (if such a flag exists). If chrome is already running in one profile and you try to launch in another profile, I'm not sure what would happen.
    Yes Chrome does have command-line functionality (follow the profile link in my original post) What they suggest is what you suggest, create multiple launchers.

I would rather create a single launcher to execute some kind of script that asks me which profile I want to use, then executes the appropriate chrome command based on my response. That way I don't end up accidentally logged into the wrong account.

Beans
    Distro

This was resolved by Google implementing it's multiple sign on feature and delicious being bought instead of axed.