Thread: Doesn't start after a driver installation

Beans

Doesn't start after a driver installation

Hi,I have a notebook with dual-boot, windows 7 and ubuntu 10.10.
    I have ubuntu in a different partition than windows,It was working fine since I activated the broadcom STA wireless driver,it was present but not active (I also activated nvidia driver).
    The I selected restart to complete updates,and when I restart I find out that after loading ubuntu's writing,instead of starting the GNOME session I am in a sort of recovery mode.
    It asks me the password,I log and it says:"Your cpu appears to be lacking expected security protections.Please check your bios settings,or for more information,run: /usr/bin/check-bios-nx --verbose".
    Doing as it says I get:
    "This cpu is family 6,model 37,and has capabilities but is unable to use these protective features because the bios is configured to disable the capability.Please enable this in your bios."
    It also gives a link:
    http://wiki.ubuntu.com/Security/CPUFeatures
    But I don't have any idea of how changing that flag,I also tried ctrl+alt+7 but it sticks at something like "enabling sensors" or something like this,It blocks and GNOME doesn't want to start.
    A solution would be to reisntall ubuntu,but if I reinstall will I get that problem if I activate the driver again,or anyone know a solution to change that flag to permit the execution of non-executable memory?
    And since I work with C programming,will this get any problem with an eventual stack overflow caused by the programs I compile and run?

Thanks previously for the answers (I hope).

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Re: Doesn't start after a driver installation

not promising anything here but can you tell us what netbook you have exactly and if you have managed to get into the BIOS setting yet usually pressing F2 or DEL or Esc during boot up.
    Sony Vaio VGN-NS11J Laptop 2x Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T5800 @ 2.00GHz, 3 GB RAM, 320GB HD. My Linux Blog and My Folding@Home Stats

Beans

I have an acer aspire 5745G,yes I can enter boot menù by pressing f2.

Beans
    Distro

ok I've done a bit of a search and found this thread http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1592626 looks like you need to get into your bios [as you say with F2] screen and amend the graphic mode to discrete graphics only.

Good Luck
    Sony Vaio VGN-NS11J Laptop 2x Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T5800 @ 2.00GHz, 3 GB RAM, 320GB HD. My Linux Blog and My Folding@Home Stats

Beans

Thanks man,I am now typing from ubuntu,thanks again

Beans
    Distro

excellent please mark thread as solved.

Beans

please mark thread as solved.
    How to do this?

Beans
    Distro

Hi mate, check out the options under [Thread Tools] at the top of page..

Happy New Year