Thread: Completely transparent window decorations

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Completely transparent window decorations

My fglrx driver wasn't working right - crashing out wine and stopping doom3 from loading. So I completely wiped it and installed the latest version from ATI, and indeed that seems to have fixed my issues. However an annoying problem has arisen as a result.

In compiz my window decorations are now completely transparent - as in totally absolutely invisible! Note that the decorations are not missing, just invisible. I can grab the invisible top bar and drag the window around with it. I can maximise or minimise or close the window by clicking the completely invisible buttons (I have to guess where they are). But I can't see anything.

• Playing around with the settings in configuration editor ( apps > gwd ) makes no difference.
    • Unselecting/reselecting window decorations in compiz control panel doesn't fix it.
    • Nor does playing with the settings for window decorations in compiz conrtol panel.
    • window decorator is
      Code:
       gtk-window-decorator --replace
    • In metacity the decorations are just fine.
    • Restarting compiz doesn't help.
    • changing theme doesn't help.

I could probably fix it by reverting the change to fglrx - although that may bring back the problems that made me want to update. It might be easier just to live with the problem. Does anyone have any suggestions?
    Life's a pitch. And then you sing!

Beans

Re: Completely transparent window decorations

Press Alt + F2 and then type:
    Code:
     gconf-editor
    This gives you more detailed settings fro Gnome. You should find the options for the decorator from there and adjust the transparency. It was in app -> something, but I don't remember the exact name of the option.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Completely transparent window decorations

Thanks for that, but I already played with those settings to no avail. It turned out to be some kind of bizarre bug with the compiz reflections plugin. Disabling that plugin fixed the issue instantly.
    Life's a pitch. And then you sing!