Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Installing Ubuntu 10.10 on a second hard drive

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Red face Installing Ubuntu 10.10 on a second hard drive

Ok, sorry to disapoint everyone, but I love Windows 7 and I want to keep it as my main OS. But, I also want a copy of Linux as an alternative OS to play with and maybe use for more. My PC has four hard drives and I want to keep the main hard drive (C) as my Windows HD, and install Ubuntu on one of my other drives, say D.

Do I need to do anything special configuring the HD's before installation, or can I just go and install onto the D hard drive? Do I have to configure Windows at all?

Just so you know, HD: D is currently empty and unused, but small with around 69 Gb free space.

Beans

Re: Installing Ubuntu 10.10 on a second hard drive

You're very wise to plan in advance

You might find some of the info I posted here useful:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1622388

I've been collaborating with Herman to bring this tutorial up to date:

http://members.iinet.net.au/~herman546/p22.html

I'd particularly point out how Ubuntu identifies discs and partitions:

In case you're new from Windows I want to explain about the Linux way of numbering disks and partitions before you get too confused and upset. There's no such thing as a 'C: drive' in Linux or any other drive letter for that matter. I hope you'll see why the Linux partition naming system makes a lot more sense.

In Linux the word 'disk' means an entire disk, such as a hard disk drive, SSD or flash memory drive.
    Disks are numbered with letters, starting with 'a' for the first disk and 'b' for the second and so on.

Partitions have numbers.
    Only primary partitions including the extended partition if there is one can have the numbers 1, 2, 3 or 4.
    Logical partitions (inside the extended) are always numbered counting from 5 upwards.
    If you're not sure what I'm talking about here and you're curious you may use this link, Help on Partitioning.

If you look in the screencap below, you'll see a spinbox over in the top right-hand corner for changing between one hard disk and another, including and USB drives you may have plugged in.
    My first disk is called /dev/sda in Linux speak.
    My second disk is called /dev/sdb.
    My third disk will be called '/dev/sdc', and so on ...
    The first part, '/dev/' stands for 'device', and the second part, 'sda', means hard drive 'a', for the first hard drive.
    It used to be 'hda' in the old days, for 'hard drive a', but they changed the 'h' to an 's' for reasons that are outside the scope of this how-to.

The first partition in my /dev/sda disk is /dev/sda1.
    The second partition is called /dev/sda2.
    If I had more partitions they'd be numbered /dev/sda3, and /dev/sda4.
    Partitions don't necessarily need to appear on the disk arranged in numerical order.

Beans
    Distro

Thanks for the info, but I dont really want to partition my C drive since I only have 100 Gb left...

Is installing Ubuntu on a second hard drive a really bad idea?

Beans

I just did it with my desktop and it is working perfectly. The only thing that I had to do differently was select the drive with Ubuntu on it as the primary boot drive.

Beans
    Distro

and how do I select that? Would it be a BIOS thing? Would I be able to use Windows 'startup and recovery' to put up a 'chose your OS' screen at startup?

Beans
    Distro

Any further advice for me before I take the plunge? I dont want to screw up my PC...

Rebelli0us is offline Extra Foam Sugar Free Ubuntu
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kyral210 View Post
    Any further advice for me before I take the plunge? I dont want to screw up my PC...
    You're wise to worry, Ubuntu installer can easily destroy windows. I'd temporarily disable or disconnect your 1st Windows "C" disk, and do a default Linux install on the 2nd disk. Then use BIOS to boot the OS of your choice, or reconfigure windows bootloader to boot either OS.

Beans
    Distro

If I don't unhook the C drive and just install Ubuntu onto my D drive (telling the installer to install on d ONLY), will it cause problems?

Rebelli0us is offline Extra Foam Sugar Free Ubuntu
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kyral210 View Post
    If I don't unhook the C drive and just install Ubuntu onto my D drive (telling the installer to install on d ONLY), will it cause problems?
    Yes you can but you have to make sure that Ubu puts the bootloader (Grub) on D as well. There is an obscure setting during the install that accomplishes this but it's easy to overlook. It also uses techno-gibberish terms to identify partitions, like hd0, sdb2, etc., so it's very easy to inadvertently trash your Windows.
    Last edited by Rebelli0us; December 20th, 2010 at 12:21 AM.

Get Grub2 to boot OS on second drive issue

ran update-grub.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1264354

“I added "(hd1) /dev/sdb" to /boot/grub/device.map and ran update-grub.
    This adds to operating systems on the second drive to GRUB, which works just as well.”

http://ubuntu-virginia.ubuntuforums.....php?t=1558804

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast