Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should Legacy Drivers Be Open Source?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Should Legacy Drivers Be Open Source?

I currently have an issue with the NVIDIA Linux driver and the ability to OC. I decided to have NVIDIA look into it. First, I gotta say that the response time was great and even though the issue hasn't been resolved, I felt that I received great service. In the end, I received a couple of emails. I will of course not reveal the tech's name, but will quote the correspondence.
    Tech: Sorry I forgot to mention that you need to use 'sudo' with Ubuntu Linux.
    Thanks for the log and nothing jumped out at me either.
    I discussed this problem with our developers and they are aware of it.
    However, because the problem is occurring in our legacy driver, it will probably take a very long time to get fixed, due to Engineering's workload and their priority to add feature and fix bugs in the current drivers, and then secondarily to fix bugs in the legacy driver.
    Let me know if any more questions or problems.
    ================================================== ================================
    Me: Thank you for your response and I understand that legacy drivers, especially for Linux, are not of a high priority. Perhaps NVIDIA should consider releasing legacy Linux drivers as open source and let the robust Linux community handle that part of the workload. I doubt this will happen, but one can dream, right?
    ================================================== ================================
    Tech:"Perhaps NVIDIA should
    consider releasing legacy Linux drivers as open source and let the
    robust Linux community handle that part of the workload. I doubt this
    will happen, but one can dream, right? "

I agree completely but unfortunately this is not my decision! -
    I don't really understand why Legacy drivers should still be proprietary, but maybe that will change one day....at least one can dream, right?
    Last edited by zer010; December 17th, 2010 at 02:33 AM.
    HP Pavilion dv6, Core i3-3110M, 6GB RAM, nVIDIA Geforce GT 650M, 640GB HDD: Win7 / Xubuntu 13.10 64bit

Beans

Re: Should Legacy Drivers Be Open Source?

Drivers of all software make least amount of sense to not be Free Open Source. Legacy or otherwise. I payed for the hardware already, can I please use my hardware now?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 3Miro View Post
    Drivers of all software make least amount of sense to not be Free Open Source. Legacy or otherwise. I payed for the hardware already, can I please use my hardware now?
    It's called a "trade secret." If NVidia releases the source, ATI could use it to their advantage. I completely understand the logic behind this.

And you are fully capable of using the hardware as the manufacturers intended, but that is with Windows. If the developers make the claim that they fully support Linux, then you can complain, but as of now developers support Windows, so if you want to fully utilize your hardware, you need to use Windows.

Beans

It's always been rumoured that Nvidia's reluctance to open their drivers comes down to the fact that the driver (not the hardware) is the separator between nvidia's low price geforce consumer cards and their high price Quadro workstation cards

Open drivers mean you could get the Quadro's rendering power for CAD / animation on a cheap consumer gaming card
    Code:
    while [ true ]; do CY=$(date +%y); CM=$(date +%m); if [ -n "$PY" ] && [ -n "$PM" ]; then echo "Ubuntu ${CY}.${CM} is the worst release ever"; echo "I'm going back to ${PY}.${PM}"; fi; PY="$CY"; PM="$CM"; sleep 182d; done

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by unknownPoster View Post
    It's called a "trade secret." If NVidia releases the source, ATI could use it to their advantage. I completely understand the logic behind this.

And you are fully capable of using the hardware as the manufacturers intended, but that is with Windows. If the developers make the claim that they fully support Linux, then you can complain, but as of now developers support Windows, so if you want to fully utilize your hardware, you need to use Windows.
    *ehem*, this statement reflects my thoughts exactly.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by amauk View Post
    It's always been rumoured that Nvidia's reluctance to open their drivers comes down to the fact that the driver (not the hardware) is the separator between nvidia's low price geforce consumer cards and their high price Quadro workstation cards

Open drivers mean you could get the Quadro's rendering power for CAD / animation on a cheap consumer gaming card
    Which again reinforces the trade secret idea.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Don't you find that the current NV proprietary drivers are just fine? What exactly is the problem with them, other than the license?
    The above post definitely does not contain any sarcasm at all.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Ok, I get it. I kinda figured that it was a "trade secret" thing. I also kinda figured that opening Legacy drivers would lead to others learning the secrets of new drivers, no matter the differences in hardware.
    HP Pavilion dv6, Core i3-3110M, 6GB RAM, nVIDIA Geforce GT 650M, 640GB HDD: Win7 / Xubuntu 13.10 64bit

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by unknownPoster View Post
    Offering an open source driver actually improves the overall quality of the driver. Higher quality drivers lead to greater demand and greater profits. There is a strong business case to be made for open source drivers.

As customers, it is our privilege to give feedback and demand quality. If a business decision results in a lower quality product then you're damn right we're going to complain. Silencing the customer is never a solution.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Hyporeal View Post
    Offering an open source driver actually improves the overall quality of the driver. Higher quality drivers lead to greater demand and greater profits. There is a strong business case to be made for open source drivers.
    Any proof? Or is this just anecdotal?

As customers, it is our privilege to give feedback and demand quality. If a business decision results in a lower quality product then you're damn right we're going to complain. Silencing the customer is never a solution.
    Since when are the customers being silenced? NVidia said no open source driver. That is their decision. Deal with it or move on.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast