Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 10.10 freezes up, randomly becomes unresponsive

Beans

Re: 10.10 freezes up, randomly becomes unresponsive

No, I am using the standard Ubuntu desktop AMD64 release. System specs in earlier post.

Beans

Looking through the system logs to try and determine what might be freezing my machine, anyone have an idea of what system log I should focus on? I see that 11.04 is released April 28th, I may just wait and keep hard resetting machine until then to see if that release may fix my issues.

Beans

Just reverted my desktop back to ubuntu 10.04. I am having my mac mini access the nfs exports via itunes right now, I will report back about whether I have a freezing issue or not.
    Last edited by zackboll; March 14th, 2011 at 05:20 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I'm having the same issue. For me it will lock up and I will be able to click on things on the desktop but unable to type anything or click on the top menu bar. Doing a hard reboot will generally fix the issue, but it's not a permanent fix.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I've found that CTRL+ALT+F2 out of the Desktop and then CTRL+ALT+F7 to get back to the desktop fixes it. Will still have to do it fairly often.

Beans

10.04 is working for me so far, I will probably just stick with this. To be honest, my bad experiences with 10.10 is probably going to make me a lot more hesitant to upgrade in the future, although I do like access to new features. With 10.10, first it was the X11 server crashing on nearly every application due to a rolled in Xinerama bug, then this issue which I was unable to track down.

Beans

Question Re: 10.10 freezes up, randomly becomes unresponsive

so did you guys come up with a solution? I installed 10.10 on my old hp dv6 core 2 duo with 4GB ram, 32-bit maverick. When i'm simply using chrome, or playing mp3, the system suddenly doesn't respond. Its not a total lock up but the system components dont respond like the menu bar, launchers etc. any running application would continue running, responding normally. i can open a new tab in chrome and continue browsing a new website or something like that. But i cant click on the shutdown or restart buttons. I can press ctrl+alt+del to open the shut down menu and restart and only that fixes the problem. At the same time, within chrome i cant type in any textboxes that are rendered within a page.

is that info of any help?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123