Thread: sudo (change) surprise

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

sudo (change) surprise

Just a heads up that if you accept the maintainer's version of /etc/sudoers for a recent update, it removes admin group as a default sudoer from that file, leaving you unable to sudo anything if you are not a member of sudo group (which nobody is unless specifically added).

So you might want to add yourself to sudo group before doing updates. Or if like me, you were unaware of that, you can boot a (recovery) kernel and edit /etc/group from a root shell. It is a comma separated list of users in that group like:

Code:
    sudo:x:27:efflandt,deffland
    i5 650 3.2 GHz, 8 GB, nvidia GTX 550 Ti 32" 1080p | i7-4700, 8 GB, Intel HD 4600/nvidia GTX 765M 15.6" 1080p | etc.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Re: sudo (change) surprise

Yup, noticed this as well... promptly rebooted into a root shell and fixed it.
    Another way to achieve the same effect is to simply run `adduser username sudo` as root
    my shiz: http://inportb.com/
    use Dropbox if you need an awesome free file hosting service; please follow my referral link for an extra 256MB of free storage.

Beans

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

There was just another update to sudo1.7.4p4-5ubuntu2, that fixes the problem

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Having so many times in the past had the maintainer's version of grub configuration bork my multibooting systems, I went with 'N' for the sudoers file. Now that I am reading this, I am glad I did!

Please do not PM me about your forum account unless you have been asked to. The correct place to contact an admin about your account is here.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

If you have been hit with this and need more detailed guidance on how to recover (as opposed to reinstall), I suggest looking at this guide