Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Asus N53jq, sound not working

Beans

Re: Asus N53jq, sound not working

hey guys,
    when i bought the above mentioned notebook, i had the same problem and solved it with the fix on the first page (the line at the end of alsa-base.conf). this worked, but recently i noticed that the speakers are not working anymore for no apparent reason. in the meantime i only made some updates via synaptic (that included a kernel update, but booting into the old kernel doesn't work either) and disabled the sound for the login screen. i also did some stuff in windows (dual boot, installed skype) - not sure if that's relevant.
    to fix the issue i tried to update the alsa modules as described above. i checked everything in alsamixer and must have tried about every combination in the sound options menu of ubuntu. the peculiar thing is, that the sound works, if i connect headphones, even if i select "analog speakers" in the output tab of the sound preferences. does anyone have a clue, why my speakers are not working anymore?

Beans

hey guys,
    when i bought the above mentioned notebook, i had the same problem and solved it with the fix on the first page (the line at the end of alsa-base.conf). this worked, but recently i noticed that the speakers are not working anymore for no apparent reason. in the meantime i only made some updates via synaptic (that included a kernel update, but booting into the old kernel doesn't work either) and disabled the sound for the login screen. i also did some stuff in windows (dual boot, installed skype) - not sure if that's relevant.
    to fix the issue i tried to update the alsa modules as described above. i checked everything in alsamixer and must have tried about every combination in the sound options menu of ubuntu. the peculiar thing is, that the sound works, if i connect headphones, even if i select "analog speakers" in the output tab of the sound preferences. does anyone have a clue, why my speakers are not working anymore?

Beans

hey guys,

Beans

hey guys,

Beans

hey guys,

//EDIT: sory, for the multiple posts. obviously i had some problems with the connection. can an admin please delete the duplicate posts?
    Last edited by blowfish880; January 18th, 2011 at 11:44 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 15.04 Vivid Vervet

Quote Originally Posted by blowfish880 View Post
    hey guys,

//EDIT: sory, for the multiple posts. obviously i had some problems with the connection. can an admin please delete the duplicate posts?
    Try removing that edit from alsa-base.conf

Beans

nope, doesn't work either.

Beans

@blowfish: I had the exact same issue as you had. All of a sudden the sound did not work anymore. So, actually I reinstalled alsa, using
    Code:
    sudo aptitude reinstall alsa-base
    Rebooted, and still no sound. I got agitated, turned the laptop off and went to sleep. This morning I started the laptop again and the sound was back.
    So to be honest, it looks more or less random whether or not we have sound . You could try reinstalling the alsa base.
    Oh, also verify if in your BIOS (somewhere around something called security, you can set pci locks) that the soundcard is set to unlock. That's all I did, and now I have sound again .

Good luck!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Yuri_MB View Post
    Code:
    sudo aptitude reinstall alsa-base
    that did the trick. thanks heaps.

Beans

but you're right, it seems quite random when the speakers work and when they won't. it was working today, then i rebooted to windows and used a headset. after rebooting to ubuntu the speakers don't work again and even reinstalling alsa-base doesn't do it. this is really frustrating. if anyone has an idea why this is - i'm happy about any clues.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast