Thread: Experienced ubuntu users help, including admins

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Exclamation Experienced ubuntu users help, including admins

You'll have to excuse my gross incompetence and ignorance with everything Linux related and if you dare, hold my hand through this process, but I'm in need of some help and this seems like a great place to try and get some.

I have a Dell Mini 10v that I previously installed Ubuntu 10.04 to without a problem. After I figured out how to do little things like enable Java, I was able to run the one program I installed ubuntu for in the first place. Everything was great, life was beautiful, my program ran without giving me the constant BSOD that was the case when I was running it on Windows...

That is until yesterday, when I booted up the laptop and interrupted the boot process by holding down the power button to make it shut off (I was having power problems and didn't know the computer was booting until it was too late). Now it won't boot and gives me an error akin to this (pulled from a web search):

Quote:
    mount: mounting /dev/disk/by-uuid/***************************** on /root
    failed: Invalid argument
    mount: mounting /sys on /root/sys failed: No such file or directory
    mount: mounting /dev on /root/dev failed: No such file or directory
    mount: mounting /sys on /root/sys failed: No such file or directory
    mount: mounting /proc on /root/proc failed: No such file or directory
    Target file system doesn't have /sbin/init
    No init found. Try passing init= bootarg

Busybox v1.13.3 (Ubuntu 1:1.13.3-1ubuntu7) built-in shell (ash)
    Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands
    (initramfs) _

Read more: http://pinoy-computing-tips.blogspot...#ixzz17xc8jUSu

so naturally I prepared a USB drive with ubuntu and tried to boot to it to run Terminal. Well, that doesn't work either. The BIOS sees the usb drive and lets me choose to boot to it, but then it hangs at the purple ubuntu screen and I can get nowhere with it.

I also tried booting to a osx usb drive and using terminal included there, but the commands don't translate and another web search I tried for similar help yielded no positive results.

Is there anything I can do? at this point I would just start over and lose my data, but I can't even do that since I can't get it to boot to the USB. And yes, I tried the USB drive on another computer and it booted into Ubuntu just fine.

Theres no cd drive and no external cd drive so cant boot up by live cd
    If at first you don't succeed, try until you bleed

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Experienced ubuntu users help, including admins

Depending on your graphics card, you may need to use one of the boot options to get the LiveUSB going.

I would try nomodeset first.

The error message probably indicates some kind of file-system damage (hard shutdowns usually never end well no matter what OS you use).