Thread: Truecrypt Automount Questions

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Question Truecrypt Automount Questions

Hi!

I have two questions regarding auto mount function of Truecrypt.

First question:

I want to automatically mount my flash drive encrypted by Truecrypt using a keyfile whenever I plug the drive. How can I do this? I use Ubuntu 10.10.

Second question:

As I do not know the answer of my first question, I currently use following command in a startup script to mount my encrypted flash drive automatically at every system start-up.
    /usr/bin/truecrypt -k ~/keyfile --auto-mount=favorites
    My problem with this method is, Truecrypt always search for the drive in the same path saved in favorite drives list, e.g. /dev/sdb1. However sometimes there are more than one flash drive plugged to my computer and my encrypted drive's path changes. In such cases Truecrypt cannot mount my encrypted drive because it cannot find the drive in its path.

As a workaround I tried "auto-mount=devices" parameter. It is slow because it checks every mounted drive, and some of them external hard disk big in size. Moreover it does not recognize any mount point parameter. I'd like to mount the drive to the same mount point every time.
    /usr/bin/truecrypt -t --auto-mount=devices -p "" -k ~/keyfile /media/MyMountPoint
    The command above mounts the drive however it is slow and to the destination of "/media/treucrypt1".

Any suggestions, please?

Beans

Re: Truecrypt Automount Questions

Without going into a lot of detail - you can use udev - see http://reactivated.net/writing_udev_rules.html. Unfortunately some of this is a bit out of date. You can use udev rules to create consistent device names (eg /dev/my_pendrive) and also to automount devices using truecrypt or any other method.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Question Udev problem

Quote Originally Posted by Robert S View Post
    Without going into a lot of detail - you can use udev - see http://reactivated.net/writing_udev_rules.html. Unfortunately some of this is a bit out of date. You can use udev rules to create consistent device names (eg /dev/my_pendrive) and also to automount devices using truecrypt or any other method.
    Thank you for guiding me into the right direction.

The link you gave me is my primary source to learn about udev. However I needed to make a further search for more current documentation, especially for Ubuntu. I reached following useful links:

I did the following using the information I got from above links:

1. dmesg output
    I got the output of "dmesg" after I plugged in the drive, which is:

Code:
    [ 1978.872064] usb 2-2: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 5
    [ 1979.011756] scsi9 : usb-storage 2-2:1.0
    [ 1980.009401] scsi 9:0:0:0: Direct-Access     Sony     Storage Media    1.00 PQ: 0 ANSI: 2
    [ 1980.010352] sd 9:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg1 type 0
    [ 1980.015617] sd 9:0:0:0: [sdb] 15663104 512-byte logical blocks: (8.01 GB/7.46 GiB)
    [ 1980.016227] sd 9:0:0:0: [sdb] Write Protect is off
    [ 1980.016235] sd 9:0:0:0: [sdb] Mode Sense: 23 00 00 00
    [ 1980.016241] sd 9:0:0:0: [sdb] Assuming drive cache: write through
    [ 1980.018758] sd 9:0:0:0: [sdb] Assuming drive cache: write through
    [ 1980.018770]  sdb: sdb1
    [ 1980.244063] sd 9:0:0:0: [sdb] Assuming drive cache: write through
    [ 1980.244072] sd 9:0:0:0: [sdb] Attached SCSI removable disk
    2. Get information about drive
    Then I used this command to find out what values can I use to identify my drive to udev.

Code:
    udevadm info -a -p $(udevadm info -q path -n /dev/sdb1)
    Please click here to see the output.

3. Write the rule
    Then I wrote following udev rule:

Code:
    ACTION=="add", KERNEL=="sd[b-g]", SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTRS{idVendor}=="054c", ATTRS{idProduct}=="0243", SYMLINK+="usb/Sony8GB", RUN+="/home/ryukun/Sabit/Scripts/test.sh", OPTIONS+="all_partitions,last_rule"
    and put it into /etc/udev/rules.d/ directory and renamed it as "Sony8Gb.auto.rules" and I tried "85-Sony8Gb.auto.rules" as file name too.

I entered "udevadm trigger" but it did not create any symlink nor launched any script. I tried to restart the computer and plug the drive out and in, but nothing happened.

It did not work...

I made many try. I tried to use "scsi" for subsystem and various "ATTRS" values from the same scsi block but it did not help. After each change in the rule I rebooted the system as I could not trust "udevadm test" command. However it did not work.

I spent lots of hours on this and got frustrated.

I would greatly appreciate if anybody can help me.
    Last edited by ryu kun; December 25th, 2010 at 03:46 PM.

Beans

Re: Udev problem

As I mentioned via personal message:

First, use the info that udevadm gives you about the device's tree. Find which item in the chain corresponds to the device itself, and then select key=value pairs from only that entry, and its "parent" device (the device listed just below it). In identifying a device you can only use identifiers from the device itself and its parent device. It's set up this way for a reason - to avoid ambiguity.

Next, the key=value pairs must actually reflect those that udevadm prints out when examining the device.

If the device you want to examine or specify is /dev/sda for instance, look for KERNEL=="sda" in the output of udevadm info and then go from there.