Thread: How to make radio-canada streams work in Maverick?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

How to make radio-canada streams work in Maverick?

This is an eternal problem with radio-canada streaming content, and it seems every new version of ubuntu we have to go through different processes to get it to work.

In some previous versions, following the guidelines provided by radio-canada worked, but they are quite outdated now and some of the packages they refered to do not even exist anymore. I make regular reports of their website, but users complaining only end up by, if they answer at all, "it works on our computers so it should work on yours" or "why don't you use windows".

Basically, their guides consist of removing the totem totem plugin, installing flash-plugin-nonfree and the mplayer plugin.
    I read somewhere the mplayer plugin is now gecko-mediaplayer, which I installed, but the videos still don't work.

Anyone has a solution?
    Last edited by geoffm; December 15th, 2010 at 12:20 PM.
    DELL XPS M1330 Core2
    Ubuntu 12.04 64

qamelian is offline Iced Blended Vanilla Crème Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: How to make radio-canada streams work in Maverick?

I haven't done anything other than install the flash plugin from the repos and it works fine on my laptop. Right now, I'm listening to Espace Musique.

What exactly happens when you try to play a stream from this site?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

The advertisement plays and then the video screen stays black. I'm surprised that yours worked out of the box, it never happened to me. Can you tell me which video plugin you are using (totem? mplayer? vlc?) and which flash plugin, and if you might have something else installed that makes it work?
    I think I have tried them all, though...
    DELL XPS M1330 Core2
    Ubuntu 12.04 64

qamelian is offline Iced Blended Vanilla Crème Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Totem plugin and flashplayer as installed from the flashplayer-installer package in the Ubuntu repos. Any other codecs that may be installed are only as a result of Totem telling me that one was missing and installing it for me. I never use the medibuntu repo, nor do I install ubuntu-restricted-extras. This way I end up with only the stuff I actually need. Less excess baggage = easier troubleshooting, in the rare case where I run into trouble.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by qamelian View Post
    I haven't done anything other than install the flash plugin from the repos and it works fine on my laptop. Right now, I'm listening to Espace Musique.

What exactly happens when you try to play a stream from this site?
    No, no! Problem is with live video streaming, working with Windows but not with Linux. RAI-TV just upgraded and we can watch the News on Linux. Some News on French France-1 and 2 and 3 are also unavailable to linux OS. If you try RDI on Google on R-C web site, well their live streaming is unaccessible with Ubuntu. I emailed them 4-8 weeks ago but so far no progress or change, no word!!!

Beans

CBC/Radio-Canada is not Linux Friendly. That's the whole Truth !!!