Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: No Sound In Braid Game

Beans

Re: No Sound In Braid Game

Hmm... I didn't see anything out of the ordinary in the strace.

Have you seen this thread, or one of the others like it?

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=987252

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

All other audio is working absolutely fine, but thanks

It's actually quite playable with braids own libs removed (Except libCg* of course).

I disabled compiz to make the game run a little smoother and I think that also reduced the cracking noise further. So it also depends on cpu-load...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 14.04 Trusty Tahr

This may help. No sound or stuttering sound in SDL-based games.

Many games use the SDL library, however, by default, only the ALSA version of SDL is installed. Some games are known to work better if you instead use the PulseAudio version of SDL. This is due to a bug in alsa-plugins.

Diagnosis

Open synaptic and select the package which contains the game. Right-click on the package and select Properties. Go to the tab "dependencies" and select "dependencies" in the combobox. If "libsdl1.2debian" is listed as a dependency, then the game is affected.

Fix / workaround

Install the package libsdl1.2debian-pulseaudio, then restart your game.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thanks for the suggestion, but 10.04 has the -pulseaudio version installed by default and the alsa version is not.

Beans

Hey, anybody found a solution to this?

I am also on Natty 64bit, and not getting any sound.

Beans
    Hidden!

Also 11.04 64 bit and no sound. Framerate issue as well. Any help appreciated.

Beans

I ended up finding the problem on my particular setup. I have sound! Gorgeous sound, too, and am enjoying this really innovative game.

(I'm on 64bit Natty, thought I don't think that matters.)

The issue is that I have on-board audio and also a separate audio card, which each appears as a separate hardware output in Ubuntu's audio settings. (Which are PulseAudio.) The Braid game uses SDL's audio library, which plugs in to PulseAudio. But, somehow SDL's PulseAudio support is special and does not think to use the system defaults. So, even though I have everything else working find with my external audio card, somehow Braid (and only Braid) defaulted to using my internal audio card.

Fixing this wasn't trivial, because Braid is a full-screen game, and so I had no easy access to the audio setting while it was running. But, somehow through a lot screwing around and alt-tabbing I managed to switch to the desktop while Braid continued running in the background, and that's where I could get to audio settings and change the audio output for Braid. Phew!

I blame mostly SDL for this, though I think it would be nice if Braid also had a windowed mode.

Off topic -- you can buy the gorgeous soundtrack for the game off Magnatune:

http://magnatune.com/artists/albums/braid-soundtrack/

Beans

Ryan Gordon ported the game. He posted a list of commandline switches on his mailing list.

From the man himself: "If you get bad sound, try export SDL_AUDIODRIVER=alsa, and that'll probably solve 90% of the problem cases (but if it's working now and you try this, it may stop working)."
    Last edited by Thekla; June 24th, 2011 at 08:32 PM.

Beans

export SDL_AUDIODRIVER=alsa
    Ran this as a standalone command - still no sound

Open synaptic and select the package which contains the game. Right-click on the package and select Properties. Go to the tab "dependencies" and select "dependencies" in the combobox. If "libsdl1.2debian" is listed as a dependency, then the game is affected.

Fix / workaround

Install the package libsdl1.2debian-pulseaudio, then restart your game.
    I have BOTH packages installed - libsdl1.2debian & libsdl1.2debian-pulseaudio
    However libsdl1.2debian is listed as the dependancy in braid, how do I change that?

Beans

Emblem Parade - Any chance you could provide a brief summary of how you did this as it sounds suspiciously like my problem? I'm using Natty and have a second (none-default) soundcard too. Again, no sound.

Also, how did you manage to Alt-Tab out of Braid as for the life of me I can't get out of it...

Thanks in advance

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast