Thread: Cant use CD/DVD Drive

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Angry Cant use CD/DVD Drive

Hello, I am running maverick 64bit alongside windows7 on a partition. I cannot seem to find my cd-dvd drive. If i put a cd/dvd in nothing happens... I am pretty new to linux.

Help much is apreciated

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Cant use CD/DVD Drive

Have you tried other CDs or DVDs?
    How did you install Ubuntu?
    advocating Free and Open Source Software, supporting the Open Web
    fight for your right to party and get your free cloud storage now

Beans
    Distro

Even im facing the same problem.Im using Meerkat on a asus 1005px with an external slim type usb dvd writer..The drive works fine under widows.Sometimes the drive gets recognized after a couple of reboots.The drive cant be found even when i use the lsusb command.Please help.

Beans

Me too!

I just got a Logitec (not Logitech -- this is a Japanese company but normally very reliable) usb dvd drive (LDR-PME8U2LBK). I was able to get it set up quickly in XP SP3 on this same machine (EeePC 1005HA running Ubuntu Remix) bu in Ubuntu I can only play dvds I made on another computer, not commercial ones from either the US or Japan.

My actual performance and problem varies depending on what kind of CD/DVD I put in and sometimes, what program I try to use.

1. When I put in a commercial (movie) DVD, the dvd spins a bit, then stops. Nothing shows up in my file browser.

2. If I then unplug the usb connector and plug it in again, the disk appears in the file browser and I'm asked if I want to open it with Movie Player. When I try that, I get an error message "Error occurred -- could not read from resource."

3. When I try to open the dvd with vlc, the program find the dvd but nothing happens after a little, brief spinning of the dvd.

4. I've also tried ripping the dvd with three programs -- acidrip, ogmrip, and dvdrip. OGM got me started, but crashed every time I tried.

HEEEELLLLLLPPPPP!!!!!!! (Any suggestions, please?)

Beans
    Distro

I installed via usb. And sometimes ubuntu will randomly recognize the drive, but usually it doesnt.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by henrodon View Post
    Me too!

I just got a Logitec (not Logitech -- this is a Japanese company but normally very reliable) usb dvd drive (LDR-PME8U2LBK). I was able to get it set up quickly in XP SP3 on this same machine (EeePC 1005HA running Ubuntu Remix) bu in Ubuntu I can only play dvds I made on another computer, not commercial ones from either the US or Japan.

My actual performance and problem varies depending on what kind of CD/DVD I put in and sometimes, what program I try to use.

1. When I put in a commercial (movie) DVD, the dvd spins a bit, then stops. Nothing shows up in my file browser.

2. If I then unplug the usb connector and plug it in again, the disk appears in the file browser and I'm asked if I want to open it with Movie Player. When I try that, I get an error message "Error occurred -- could not read from resource."

3. When I try to open the dvd with vlc, the program find the dvd but nothing happens after a little, brief spinning of the dvd.

4. I've also tried ripping the dvd with three programs -- acidrip, ogmrip, and dvdrip. OGM got me started, but crashed every time I tried.

HEEEELLLLLLPPPPP!!!!!!! (Any suggestions, please?)
    This is Really buggin me out. Could it be that the drive runs on less speed/power in ubuntu?? Experts-We need your help here!

Beans
    Distro

Bump?
    Never trust someone named GATES who sells WINDOWS.