Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Ralink 5390 wifi card in Ubuntu 10.10 64 bit

Beans

Re: Ralink 5390 wifi card in Ubuntu 10.10 64 bit

Thanks for this info! I also worried that I wouldn't be able to put linux on this laptop for my wife.

A couple things:

1. Everyone who wants linux on this laptop should ask Ralink to incorporate their drivers into the mainline kernel so things will "just work" rather than have to manually setup the driver (and repeat the process for each kernel upgrade).
    2. I also have Ubuntu 10.10 on this laptop. Whenever I reboot, the laptop's wireless is disabled (as indicated by a red light on the F12 key). I don't know if this is a hardware or software default (or both). Does anyone else's work this way? Is there a way to have the laptop's wireless automatically enabled upon reboot?
    3. I use WPA2 to secure my network, and I do not broadcast my SSID. Ubuntu 10.10 does not seem to automatically connect to (or even list) my wireless network in Network Manager upon reboot. Each time, I have to go back and forth between enabling/disabling the laptop's wireless (Fn + F12) and instructing Ubuntu to connect to my network (Network Manager -> Connect to hidden wireless network).
      Basically, does anyone's linux install on this laptop "just work" w/ regards to wireless connectivity?

Thanks again for your help.

Nick

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by akshay.guleria@gmail.com View Post
    My sound card on Hp-G62x works out of box on 10.10. Is your sound card the same?
    Sound output also worked out of the box for me (also using Ubuntu 10.10). But my built-in microphone does not seem to work.

@nick

[*]Everyone who wants linux on this laptop should ask Ralink to incorporate their drivers into the mainline kernel so things will "just work" rather than have to manually setup the driver (and repeat the process for each kernel upgrade).
    Sure. or perhaps publish to multiverse repository or a repository of their own. Part of the problem being the support of "N" specifications for wireless which is new for all wireless vendors and so have not gotten mainstream into linux yet. But i am glad ralink has source code available so we can at least get it up and running somehow

[*]I also have Ubuntu 10.10 on this laptop. Whenever I reboot, the laptop's wireless is disabled (as indicated by a red light on the F12 key). I don't know if this is a hardware or software default (or both). Does anyone else's work this way? Is there a way to have the laptop's wireless automatically enabled upon reboot?
    For me, it connects to network automatically. I am on 11.04 beta. I remember on 10.10, i had a similar issue. However, it still keeps getting disconnected at times. However, it gets connected back instantly. Not sure if you too are facing the same problem.

[*]I use WPA2 to secure my network, and I do not broadcast my SSID. Ubuntu 10.10 does not seem to automatically connect to (or even list) my wireless network in Network Manager upon reboot. Each time, I have to go back and forth between enabling/disabling the laptop's wireless (Fn + F12) and instructing Ubuntu to connect to my network (Network Manager -> Connect to hidden wireless network).
    Basically, does anyone's linux install on this laptop "just work" w/ regards to wireless connectivity?
    I have WPA2 and have it set to broadcast. Connection to network is automatic for me. Other than it getting disconnected at times, i just works for me as of now

Haven't tried my microphone yet. Will let you know once i get there.

Quote Originally Posted by saber850 View Post
    Sound output also worked out of the box for me (also using Ubuntu 10.10). But my built-in microphone does not seem to work.

Beans

Sure. or perhaps publish to multiverse repository or a repository of their own. Part of the problem being the support of "N" specifications for wireless which is new for all wireless vendors and so have not gotten mainstream into linux yet. But i am glad ralink has source code available so we can at least get it up and running somehow
    Absolutely--source code is much better than nothing or binary-only drivers.

For me, it connects to network automatically. I am on 11.04 beta. I remember on 10.10, i had a similar issue.
    I'm not sure what changed (if anything), but now the laptop usually starts w/ the hardware's wireless enabled. So that saves from having to enable it va Fn+F12.
    But it does not connect automatically after reboot/resume/etc. And it does not even list my network in the list--I have to choose "Connect to hidden wireless network" and then select my network from the drop-down list. Only then is my network listed in the list, but it's till not connected (though it looks like it's trying and will eventually fail)! To connect, I then have to select my network from the list. Once I do that, it says I've been disconnected (which is incorrect because I was never connected in the first place) and then it connects.

However, it still keeps getting disconnected at times. However, it gets connected back instantly. Not sure if you too are facing the same problem.
    Unfortunately, my laptop also drops the connection periodically. I have no idea what causes it. Even worse, it does not automatically reconnect for me. This is probably inline with Ubuntu not automatically connecting when I reboot/resume/etc. I have to restart networking and Network Manager, then repeat the process above. The drop out is frustrating my wife.

I have WPA2 and have it set to broadcast. Connection to network is automatic for me. Other than it getting disconnected at times, i just works for me as of now
    I can try enabling broadcast on my router to see if that helps. But I'd really like to know the culprit(s) for this. An older version of Ubuntu on another (older) laptop worked perfectly--it automatically connected after reboot/resume/etc and never dropped the connection. I'd be very disappointed if any of these problems are Ubuntu 10.10's fault--that's supposed to be a stable release, right?

Beans

Haven't tried my microphone yet. Will let you know once i get there.
    I found that my audio's input was muted, so that may have been the problem. I haven't checked yet.

Beans

I confirmed that if I configure my router to broadcast the SSID, Ubuntu 10.10 automatically connects.

I confirmed that if I configure my router to broadcast the SSID, Ubuntu 10.10 automatically connects.
    Kind of interesting. Broadcast or hidden, if it in the profile, it should connect. Looks like Ubuntu network-manager needs some revamp

Good to know your problem is solved - at least - it is not frustrating for you anymore.

BTW, ralink seems to have a new version of the driver on their website for ra5390 card. I could not compile it but perhaps that will eliminate rest of the pain with this card.

Beans

I found that my audio's input was muted, so that may have been the problem. I haven't checked yet.
    I've confirmed that the problem w/ the built-in microphone was due to the input being muted--once I unmuted it, the mic worked.
    Incidentally, Skype and this laptop w/ Ubuntu work out of the box (audio + video).

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast