Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Ralink 5390 wifi card in Ubuntu 10.10 64 bit

Beans

Re: Ralink 5390 wifi card in Ubuntu 10.10 64 bit

I had the same problem Brumbinhd. All you have to do is go to post #77, install from the link, then extract it in your Downloads folder. (Any folder will do, but, we will say Downloads to make it easier.) Open your terminal, then type in ->cd Downloads. This should bring you to the Downloads folder within the terminal. Then type -> cd RT. Now you are in the downloaded content folder that you just extracted to this destination. Once there, follow the steps in post #77. (I will copy and paste it down below this) Tell me if it worked for you also.

Originally Posted by adamis
    The instructions listed in the link from earlier posts I found have typos. Below are some corrected instructions that hopefully should get you on your way...

1. Download the file contained at this link: http://barkmunchers.com/dm1z/RT.tar.gz

2. Extract the files to a directory. Then open a console, navigate to the directory that you extracted the files to then run the following commands:

PHP Code:
    sudo make
    sudo make install
    sudo mkdir
    -p /etc/Wireless/RT5390STA
    sudo cp RT5390STA
    .dat /etc/Wireless/RT5390STA/RT5390STA.dat
    sudo cp
    ./os/linux/rt5390sta.ko /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/rt5390sta.ko

Note that for the last command above I used the option <uname -r>. This will copy the files to the current running kernel version. Make sure you are running the kernel that you wish to get the wireless running on...

Now edit /etc/modules to add the line 'rt5390sta' at the end

Then run:

PHP Code:
    sudo depmod -a
    reboot

That should get you on your way. Hopefully that I didn't add in any typos myself.

**Edit** fixed the <uname -r> with `uname -r`, Thanks frospeh for catching the error!
    Last edited by howellb3383; May 2nd, 2011 at 02:49 PM.

Beans

Does anybody have working bluetooth with ralink 5390? The btusb driver loads on my HP dm1, I get no errors when scanning for new devices, but, as mentioned previously in the thread, no devices show up..

Stefan

Beans

I have achieved some headway, thankfully. After following the steps in this link, I am seeing wlan0 after iwconfig but I sill do not have wireless networks listed when I click on the icon. Any ideas. I also see the Ralink 5390 listed in the additional drivers dialog.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Beans

hi howellb3383, i did just as you said and i got this back with the make install command:
    ~/Downloads/RT$ sudo make install
    make -C /home/brumbinhd/Downloads/RT/os/linux -f Makefile.6 install
    mkdir: cannot create directory `/etc/Wireless': File exists
    make[1]: Entering directory `/home/brumbinhd/Downloads/RT/os/linux'
    rm -rf /etc/Wireless/RT2860STA
    mkdir /etc/Wireless/RT2860STA
    cp /home/brumbinhd/Downloads/RT/RT2860STA.dat /etc/Wireless/RT2860STA/.
    cp: cannot stat `/home/brumbinhd/Downloads/RT/RT2860STA.dat': No such file or directory
    make[1]: *** [install] Error 1
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/brumbinhd/Downloads/RT/os/linux'
    make: *** [install] Error 2

now what i think is somehow i need to erase the folder /etc/Wireless and start over... is that right? and if so how do i change the permissions? it seems like a silly question but when i go into properties it tells me that im not the owner so i can't change them. also if i try to run the reboot command, it tells me that "needs to be root". thanks for your help im farther than ive been!
    Last edited by Brumbinhd; May 3rd, 2011 at 04:29 AM.

Beans

I know this sounds silly, but did you type "sudo" before each command? I was looking over what was in your terminal, and it appears you haven't. Ignore the errors for now, because you are directly putting them in the Wireless folder. So, there is no need to delete it. Also, you will need to go to your modules and edit them. (it is a text file) so to get there type in -> cd /etc/ then type -> sudo gedit modules. At the end of everything, below the last line, type -> rt5390sta

So a quick summery:
    -Type -> sudo Before every command in the previous post that I cut and pasted. (ps you can cut and paste everything. Just do not put the periods at the end of each line in the terminal.)
    - Make sure to a add rt5390sta to the end of your "modules" document list.
    -Once you have typed in the previous step make sure to save it!
    - Then finally hit restart.

On a final note, if you want to make a new root password, so that you can access root in the terminal, do this:

Type -> sudo passwd
    Type your current password
    Type the new root password
    Retype the new root password

You will see you are then in root. To go back to just being a normal terminal user, type -> exit.

After doing all of this, please then type -> ifconfig and tell us what you get. (if you do not automatically get wifi.) Oh! Before I forget, make sure your wifi is on after doing all of this.
    Last edited by howellb3383; May 3rd, 2011 at 06:44 AM.

Beans

DUDE! so i had just ignored the errors and followed through with the rest of that post from you, and then i posted my reply.. in a spat of frustration i shut down my computer and left the house for a bit.. i came back and booted back up and.. PRESTO! connection established! Thank you for your help! I really appreciate it!

Beans

Glad to hear. Did you see where I responded to changing your password?

Beans

Hi!

Is your connection steady (for example during a Videochat session on Skype)?

Beans

Did any of you add anything to the rfkill list? Mine is showing up in iwconfig but I still show no wireless networks listed and can't connect to any.

Beans

yes I did. i was able to change that password and get into root. it was a little slow at first (wifi) and web pages in chrome would take forever to load. after work today however everything seemed to be working as if the computer came out of the box with ubuntu. i havent yet used a video chat service yet but the way everything else is running i would imagine it would be stable. thanks again for the help, i learned a lot about how linux runs/works from those posts!

Oh and I am on 11.04, so those steps from post 81 definitely works for that version
    Last edited by Brumbinhd; May 4th, 2011 at 05:15 AM.

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast