Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Ralink 5390 wifi card in Ubuntu 10.10 64 bit

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Ralink 5390 wifi card in Ubuntu 10.10 64 bit

rvfh: Thank you! It works!

Looking over your instructions, I couldn't find any changes from what I was doing before. Nevertheless, I followed your process using the updated 11.4 source available from:

https://build.opensuse.org/package/b...ry=11.4-update

No idea where I went wrong earlier, but it definitely works.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by akshay.guleria@gmail.com View Post
    Problem:

1. Download the driver from ralinktech.com --> Software --> Linux
    2. Unzip the download zip file anywhere. I did it in the default Downloads directory
    3. cd to the 2010_xxx extracted directory
    4. cd os/linux/
    5. Edit the config.mk file as below:
      HAS_ATE=y (no change, it was originally as is)
      HAS_WPA_SUPPLICANT=y (no change, it was originally as is)
      HAS_NATIVE_WPA_SUPPLICANT_SUPPORT=y (no change, it was originally as is)
      HAS_ANTENNA_DIVERSITY_SUPPORT=y originally was n -- this was the only thing I modified)
    6. Go back to the 2010_xx directory
    Thank you for your detailed instructions !!! You've saved my life

I have changed them slightly, however:

7. sudo make
    8 sudo make install

Reboot, and voilà, surfing !!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Still have issues, no change in my wireless connection other than that r5390 shows up in my Additional Drivers area. Not sure where I went wrong as I'm not incredibly savvy with the terminal. Everything appeared fine as I was doing it, that's probably not the case though.

Beans

Problem:
    Got a brand new HP laptop - HP g62x. Installed ubuntu 10.10 and found that I do not have a wlan interface as one would expect with an active wireless connection.

Thanks to
    Great discussion on similar work here @ http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1600498. Just a different card.

Solution:
    I used the above thread to do my work - banged my head against the wall a couple of times but it was fun . I am listing down steps that finally worked for me. But before that, my configurations:
    • Ubuntu 10.10
    • 64 bit
    • WPA2 wireless network
    • OS was freshly installed and there was no specific customization prior to this
    • RaLink Device 5390. (use lspci to see your model number)

2. Unzip the download zip file anywhere. I did it in the default Downloads directory
    4. cd os/linux/
      HAS_ANTENNA_DIVERSITY_SUPPORT=y originally was n -- this was the only thing I modified)
    7. run command 'make'
    8. Make sure 'make compile' exists without errors. I got an error "too many arguments to format" towards the end of the compile but it did compile successfully eventually. And so I ignored the errors. You would see ***errors*** if the compile is not successful. In which, something went wrong and you may need to tweak the makefile or config.mk files before compile is successful.
    9. run command 'make install' as root. This is not listed in the README_STA_pci file that comes with downloaded driver zip file. This takes of copying the file to /lib/modules/2.6.35-22-generic/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/rt5390sta.ko. running depmod, creating /etc/Wireless/... folder.
    10. Edit the /etc/modules and add the line at the end of this file
      rt5390sta
    11. Edit the file /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf and add the below line to it...
      blacklist rt2800pci
    12. Reboot and you should see an ra0 interface when you run the command 'ifconfig'
    13. You may have to run '/etc/init.d/network-manager restart' command to have it show in the first go.
    14. Once, the wireless icon shows up, look for your wireless SSID and there you go surfing
    Hello, thanks for the info.

I have been able to follow this guide up until number 7, the make command. Each time I run it, I receive the following error:

make[2]: *** [/home/donald/Downloads/wireless/os/linux/../../os/linux/cfg80211.o] Error 1
    make[1]: *** [_module_/home/donald/Downloads/wireless/os/linux] Error 2
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.38-8-generic'
    make: *** [LINUX] Error 2

You mention that I should perhaps modify my config.mk or makefile - I am new to Linux, so perhaps you could shed some light on what I should look out for?

I am trying this on 11.04, could this be the cause of my problems?

Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

You mention that I should perhaps modify my config.mk or makefile - I am new to Linux, so perhaps you could shed some light on what I should look out for?

I am trying this on 11.04, could this be the cause of my problems?

Thanks.
    Please see your other thread. You need to make the patches I referred you to.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, B.Sc., M.Sc., M.A., Ph.D., Sc.D.

Beans

I do apologise, I clicked the link on that thread rather than following it, my mistake. The info in the other thread solved the problem. You sir are a genius. Thank you!!!

Beans

Hi guys!

I thought I solved the problem with this solution on my Ubuntu 11.04 but...
    Sometimes the connection goes down... in particular during skype videochat... and this is very annoying.

Do you have any idea?

Thank you very much!

Quote Originally Posted by adamis View Post
    The instructions listed in the link from earlier posts I found have typos. Below are some corrected instructions that hopefully should get you on your way...

1. Download the file contained at this link: http://barkmunchers.com/dm1z/RT.tar.gz

2. Extract the files to a directory. Then open a console, navigate to the directory that you extracted the files to then run the following commands:

PHP Code:
    sudo make
    sudo make install
    sudo mkdir 
    -/etc/Wireless/RT5390STA
    sudo cp RT5390STA
    .dat /etc/Wireless/RT5390STA/RT5390STA.dat
    sudo cp 
    ./os/linux/rt5390sta.ko /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/rt5390sta.ko 
    Note that for the last command above I used the option <uname -r>. This will copy the files to the current running kernel version. Make sure you are running the kernel that you wish to get the wireless running on...

Now edit /etc/modules to add the line 'rt5390sta' at the end

Then run:

PHP Code:
    sudo depmod -a
    reboot 
    That should get you on your way. Hopefully that I didn't add in any typos myself.

**Edit** fixed the <uname -r> with `uname -r`, Thanks frospeh for catching the error!

Beans

Hi, I have done all the directions given in this forum. I have updated from opensuse, gone step by step to both directions (main and the one after that says to include an update) and yet my computer still doesn't recognize my wireless card. I have a Compaq Presario 56Q with a 64 bit intel celeron and install alongside Windows 7. Thank you for reading.

Beans

Never mind, I did what post #77 said to do again, and everything is working like a charm. Not sure why it didn't work the first time....Anyway, I want thank all the people that make this forum so great. I too apologize for un-needed post. Hope I can learn enough to give back!

Beans

Problem:
    Got a brand new HP laptop - HP g62x. Installed ubuntu 10.10 and found that I do not have a wlan interface as one would expect with an active wireless connection.

Thanks to
    Great discussion on similar work here @ http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1600498. Just a different card.

Solution:
    I used the above thread to do my work - banged my head against the wall a couple of times but it was fun . I am listing down steps that finally worked for me. But before that, my configurations:
    • Ubuntu 10.10
    • 64 bit
    • WPA2 wireless network
    • OS was freshly installed and there was no specific customization prior to this
    • RaLink Device 5390. (use lspci to see your model number)

4. cd os/linux/
    7. run command 'make'
    8. Make sure 'make compile' exists without errors. I got an error "too many arguments to format" towards the end of the compile but it did compile successfully eventually. And so I ignored the errors. You would see ***errors*** if the compile is not successful. In which, something went wrong and you may need to tweak the makefile or config.mk files before compile is successful.
    9. run command 'make install' as root. This is not listed in the README_STA_pci file that comes with downloaded driver zip file. This takes of copying the file to /lib/modules/2.6.35-22-generic/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/rt5390sta.ko. running depmod, creating /etc/Wireless/... folder.
    10. Edit the /etc/modules and add the line at the end of this file
      rt5390sta
    11. Edit the file /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf and add the below line to it...
      blacklist rt2800pci
    12. Reboot and you should see an ra0 interface when you run the command 'ifconfig'
    13. You may have to run '/etc/init.d/network-manager restart' command to have it show in the first go.
    14. Once, the wireless icon shows up, look for your wireless SSID and there you go surfing

Any idea what can be done different? I got an error 2 message while trying to compile. I'm really new at this and any lamens type explanation or idea would help.. I've been working through the forums like crazy trying to get this working and you have the exact same setup I do. Thanks in advance.

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast