Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: Ralink 5390 wifi card in Ubuntu 10.10 64 bit

Beans

Re: Ralink 5390 wifi card in Ubuntu 10.10 64 bit

Quote Originally Posted by chili555 View Post
    Here ya go! It's now called RT539xPCIe.

http://www.ralinktech.com/support.php?s=2
    Thanks Chili555 it is working as we speak rather write. I installed it using the process listed by Grooviest and also Chareen.

Great thanks to all !!!!

Beans

wow, thank you man, great tutorial works perfect

Beans

what does it mean when stated on step 3 cd to 2010_directory....

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I don't know what I am doing wrong, none of these links to the desired binary seem to be working. This one
    http://barkmunchers.com/dm1z/RT.tar.gz gives me this error message: "/tmp/PRcwAI+I.part could not be saved, because the source file could not be read.Try again later, or contact the server administrator" And when I visit this address: http://www.ralinktech.com/en/04_supp...ort.php?sn=501 and visit the link for the RT539x PCIe to try and download the binary I get is this error message "/tmp/3RNzuVL8.bin.part could not be saved, because the source file could not be read.Try again later, or contact the server administrator."

What am I missing here? I don't really want to try and get this driver from a third party website or somewhere I don't trust :/ I am totally willing to go through all of the aforementioned steps, but I can't seem to get the binary

Am I just having some bad luck with links breaking?

Edit: @:eerjay cd is a command that stands for Current Directory. So lets say you are in a terminal window and the prompt looks like this

Code:
     yourusername@ubuntu:~$
    If you enter:

Code:
     yourusername@ubuntu:~$ cd /home
    You will get: akshay.guleria@gmail.com

Code:
     yourusername@ubuntu:/home$
    Which means you are in that particular folder when you are executing commands. I hope that at least gives you the general idea!

Edit2: Never mind, after an update and a reboot the links work fine -_- * turns into Loony Toons donkey/@** *

Edit3: Totally worked for me when I followed akshay.guleria@gmail.com's instructions. Although I did encounter that in the newest version of the driver that the makefile was different. This is what I found for step 5:Edit the config.mk file as below:
    HAS_ATE=y (Changed it as per the instructions was originaly n)
    HAS_WPA_SUPPLICANT=y (Changed it as per the instructions was originaly n)
    HAS_NATIVE_WPA_SUPPLICANT_SUPPORT=y (Changed it as per the instructions was originaly n)
    [STRIKE]]HAS_ANTENNA_DIVERSITY_SUPPORT=y[/STRIKE] (This line was nowhere to be found, but I did not encounter any problems with the make install when i just left it alone besides the above changes)

Also, I am using Wicd as my network manager and by pure luck I figured out what to do after the reboot.
    Open the Wicd network manager and click on the preferances button. On the general settings tab there is a field for 'Wireless Interface:' In that field put ra0 and hit ok. If it does not work, try rebooting, but it worked great for me!

Thanks for all your help guys!
    Last edited by XxionxX; October 5th, 2011 at 09:36 PM. Reason: a reply to someones post

Beans

I got a CQ1 Compaq All in one computer with the mentioned wireless network card 5390 and after about 15 minutes searching i found this threat and then i did all the steps in the tutorial and WORK PERFECT!! THANK YOU man i love this forum!

PD: sorry bad english, but just want to confirm to everyone that really works.

Beans

Hi,

Have been following this thread for a while now. The problem I am facing is the connection drops very frequently.

Each time that happens I have to disable the wi-fi, then enable it again. After that it connects.

Anyone know how to overcome this. It's really annoying me that the connection drops all the time.

cheers

Beans

oowh forgot to mention, the wifi does not work after i perform the system updates. had to reinstall the driver.

this too is annoying and it's great if there's a way to overcome it.

cheers

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Cool Re: Ralink 5390 wifi card in Ubuntu 10.10 64 bit

hello, I just did all the steps but I'm still having an error during compilation:

missing arguments for function ieee80211_channel_to_frequency

at file cfg80211.c

What could be wrong?

I'm trying to install the vendor driver from ralink because right now the laptop can connect just to some wireless access points we have at work, but it can't to others.
    So I thought maybe trying the drivers at ralink website might work but I'm having this problem.
    The laptop has Ubuntu 11.10

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213