Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: Ralink 5390 wifi card in Ubuntu 10.10 64 bit

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Ralink 5390 wifi card in Ubuntu 10.10 64 bit

Glad it's working by whatever means. I admit you had me worried for a while!
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, B.Sc., M.Sc., M.A., Ph.D., Sc.D.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I had to confess it you know. I couldn't leave you hanging. I don't make many errors, but every once in a while... Oh well.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by akshay.guleria@gmail.com View Post
    Problem:
    Got a brand new HP laptop - HP g62x. Installed ubuntu 10.10 and found that I do not have a wlan interface as one would expect with an active wireless connection.

Thanks to
    Great discussion on similar work here @ http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1600498. Just a different card.

Solution:
    I used the above thread to do my work - banged my head against the wall a couple of times but it was fun . I am listing down steps that finally worked for me. But before that, my configurations:
    • Ubuntu 10.10
    • 64 bit
    • WPA2 wireless network
    • OS was freshly installed and there was no specific customization prior to this
    • RaLink Device 5390. (use lspci to see your model number)

1. Download the driver from ralinktech.com --> Software --> Linux
    2. Unzip the download zip file anywhere. I did it in the default Downloads directory
    3. cd to the 2010_xxx extracted directory
    4. cd os/linux/
    5. Edit the config.mk file as below:
      HAS_ATE=y (no change, it was originally as is)
      HAS_WPA_SUPPLICANT=y (no change, it was originally as is)
      HAS_NATIVE_WPA_SUPPLICANT_SUPPORT=y (no change, it was originally as is)
      HAS_ANTENNA_DIVERSITY_SUPPORT=y originally was n -- this was the only thing I modified)
    6. Go back to the 2010_xx directory
    7. run command 'make'
    8. Make sure 'make compile' exists without errors. I got an error "too many arguments to format" towards the end of the compile but it did compile successfully eventually. And so I ignored the errors. You would see ***errors*** if the compile is not successful. In which, something went wrong and you may need to tweak the makefile or config.mk files before compile is successful.
    9. run command 'make install' as root. This is not listed in the README_STA_pci file that comes with downloaded driver zip file. This takes of copying the file to /lib/modules/2.6.35-22-generic/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/rt5390sta.ko. running depmod, creating /etc/Wireless/... folder.
    10. Edit the /etc/modules and add the line at the end of this file
      rt5390sta
    11. Edit the file /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf and add the below line to it...
      blacklist rt2800pci
    12. Reboot and you should see an ra0 interface when you run the command 'ifconfig'
    13. You may have to run '/etc/init.d/network-manager restart' command to have it show in the first go.
    14. Once, the wireless icon shows up, look for your wireless SSID and there you go surfing
    I am totally new I just installed ubuntu 11.04 today, I studied this issue before I installed. I've downloaded the driver, unzipped it into a folder and I just don"t know how to install it from there. Like I said I'm brand new to this and I really want to learn. I am a little overwehlmed with what to do with Linux. I like it and this really might sound like a very stupid question but I am lost. Everthing else works but my wireless card. I have a HP g62x with windows 7. I would appreciate any help with pointing me in the right direction of maybe a website that could explain in detail how to install drivers and software. I'm sorry if this is the wrong place to ask this question.

• Ubuntu 11.04
    • 64 bit
    • WPA2 wireless network
    • RaLink 5390

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by thegrooviest1 View Post
    I am totally new I just installed ubuntu 11.04 today, I studied this issue before I installed. I've downloaded the driver, unzipped it into a folder and I just don"t know how to install it from there. Like I said I'm brand new to this and I really want to learn. I am a little overwehlmed with what to do with Linux. I like it and this really might sound like a very stupid question but I am lost. Everthing else works but my wireless card. I have a HP g62x with windows 7. I would appreciate any help with pointing me in the right direction of maybe a website that could explain in detail how to install drivers and software. I'm sorry if this is the wrong place to ask this question.

• Ubuntu 11.04
    • 64 bit
    • WPA2 wireless network
    • RaLink 5390
    Ubuntu 11.04 and 64-bit are a whole other issue. It's a slight bit more complicated than above but not, as my drinking buddy says, rocket surgery. Please start your own new thread and I'll be right there to help. If I don't catch it right away, send me a private message by clicking my user-name. In your new thread, tell us how far you've gotten with the process.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, B.Sc., M.Sc., M.A., Ph.D., Sc.D.

Beans

Hi,

I have just got a G62 456TU and am facing this problem. I have tried your suggestions right up to step 12. how do I run step 13?

Thanks
    chareen

Quote Originally Posted by akshay.guleria@gmail.com View Post
    Problem:
    Got a brand new HP laptop - HP g62x. Installed ubuntu 10.10 and found that I do not have a wlan interface as one would expect with an active wireless connection.

Thanks to
    Great discussion on similar work here @ http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1600498. Just a different card.

Solution:
    I used the above thread to do my work - banged my head against the wall a couple of times but it was fun . I am listing down steps that finally worked for me. But before that, my configurations:
    • Ubuntu 10.10
    • 64 bit
    • WPA2 wireless network
    • OS was freshly installed and there was no specific customization prior to this
    • RaLink Device 5390. (use lspci to see your model number)

1. Download the driver from ralinktech.com --> Software --> Linux
    2. Unzip the download zip file anywhere. I did it in the default Downloads directory
    3. cd to the 2010_xxx extracted directory
    4. cd os/linux/
    5. Edit the config.mk file as below:
      HAS_ATE=y (no change, it was originally as is)
      HAS_WPA_SUPPLICANT=y (no change, it was originally as is)
      HAS_NATIVE_WPA_SUPPLICANT_SUPPORT=y (no change, it was originally as is)
      HAS_ANTENNA_DIVERSITY_SUPPORT=y originally was n -- this was the only thing I modified)
    6. Go back to the 2010_xx directory
    7. run command 'make'
    8. Make sure 'make compile' exists without errors. I got an error "too many arguments to format" towards the end of the compile but it did compile successfully eventually. And so I ignored the errors. You would see ***errors*** if the compile is not successful. In which, something went wrong and you may need to tweak the makefile or config.mk files before compile is successful.
    9. run command 'make install' as root. This is not listed in the README_STA_pci file that comes with downloaded driver zip file. This takes of copying the file to /lib/modules/2.6.35-22-generic/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/rt5390sta.ko. running depmod, creating /etc/Wireless/... folder.
    10. Edit the /etc/modules and add the line at the end of this file
      rt5390sta
    11. Edit the file /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf and add the below line to it...
      blacklist rt2800pci
    12. Reboot and you should see an ra0 interface when you run the command 'ifconfig'
    13. You may have to run '/etc/init.d/network-manager restart' command to have it show in the first go.
    14. Once, the wireless icon shows up, look for your wireless SSID and there you go surfing

Beans

Re: Ralink 5390 wifi card in Ubuntu 10.10

I am having some problems getting the wifi to turn on it is being hard blocked and I have no idea how to enable it. I am trying to get this done so I can get this laptop out of my house. running fresh install of 10.10 I have the Compaq Presario CQ56 with the celeron processor

Beans
    Distro

Re: Ralink 5390 wifi card in Ubuntu 10.10

Quote Originally Posted by frederickSweet View Post
    I am having some problems getting the wifi to turn on it is being hard blocked and I have no idea how to enable it. I am trying to get this done so I can get this laptop out of my house. running fresh install of 10.10 I have the Compaq Presario CQ56 with the celeron processor
    I think that's a different issue than how to compile the driver. Please start a new thread and post:
    rfkill list all
    lsmod | grep wmi
    Then leave a link here to the new thread and I'll be there.

Beans

Thanks to everyone who updated these instruction so quickly! Brand new dm1 up thanks to you.

Beans

Can someone tell where I can find the RA5390 driver? Seems to be a well hidden secret. Needed for a hp pavillion dv7-6157cl

Thanks

n9jfg

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by n9jfg View Post
    Can someone tell where I can find the RA5390 driver? Seems to be a well hidden secret. Needed for a hp pavillion dv7-6157cl

Thanks

n9jfg
    Here ya go! It's now called RT539xPCIe.

http://www.ralinktech.com/support.php?s=2

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast