Thread: alternate installation

Beans
    Hidden!

Question alternate installation

normally i use the alternate installation cd in expert mode.

one of the options offered, after the base system is installed and users set up, is select and install software.

but there's nothing to select, i just can hit enter and there it goes.
    everything is installed from i guess a pre-configured script.

what is the use of this option if i can't change anything?

suggestion: remove the option or make it work in order to just get the extra software one needs.

Beans

Re: alternate installation

I noticed that too. I guess the correct interpretation for this particular step of installation is "We will select and install your software."

Since *buntu distributions are "pre-packaged", you're not offered the same kind of "build it yourself" empty skeleton that you get with something like arch linux. The packaging teams have already decided what comes with Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu, Edubuntu, UNR, etc.
    Intel Core i7-950 / Asus P6X58D-E / Nvidia GTX480 / siduction 64-bit on OCZ Revodrive SSD / KDE4.10.2/ Kubuntu 13.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

You can use the 'Alternate Installation' CD to perform a 'minimal installation', if you like.
    That means it will only have the bare necessities, and not even a desktop, only a bare-bones command line. From there you can install whichever desktop you like, KDE, Gnome, ICEwm, XFCE and so on.
    Then you can install just the software you need.
    It's a little extra work but it can result in a nice light operating system and it's a great learning experience too.

Modest Spec or Barebones Installation of Ubuntu - psychocats

InstallationLowMemorySystems - Ubuntu Community Docs

Regards, Herman
    Ubuntu user since 2004 (Warty Warthog)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Herman View Post
    You can use the 'Alternate Installation' CD to perform a 'minimal installation', if you like.
    That means it will only have the bare necessities, and not even a desktop, only a bare-bones command line. From there you can install whichever desktop you like, KDE, Gnome, ICEwm, XFCE and so on.
    Good one -- yes, I'd forgotten about that (people used to install "server" and then build on that, too.).

Actually, I believe the "minimal" is a separate CD image: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...tion/MinimalCD
    Intel Core i7-950 / Asus P6X58D-E / Nvidia GTX480 / siduction 64-bit on OCZ Revodrive SSD / KDE4.10.2/ Kubuntu 13.04

Beans
    Hidden!

Question Re: alternate installation

thanks for the replies!

i'm aware of the basic 'prompt' installation but was wondering about the offered 'option'.
    for example scientific linux does offer the same but working option during installation.
    this way i do get a gui but with or without extra software.

is ubuntu and it's derivates, perhaps going the same way as that closed windows os?

btw. from forum member mörgæs came the following script to be used with a prompt install (still have to try):
    http://andyduffell.com/techblog/?p=689