Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CCTV SuperDVR home security camera install?

Beans

CCTV SuperDVR home security camera install?

Has anyone gotten a DVR card to work with Zoneminder?

I have a chinese DVR card in a Windows Box running 8 Cameras on software called SuperDVR.

It seems all of these camera cards are the same, some made by Avermedia, or QSee. My card actually came with SuperDVR software that didn't work properly, the documentation was obviously bad chinese translation and I had a really tough time getting it to work on the Windows box initially. Finally I found that it just won't work with Windows 7 or 64 bit, so I reinstaled WinXP 32 bit onto the box and found an upgraded SuperDVR software on the QSee camera driver website.

Anyway,

I've started using Ubuntu exclusively and would love to make the switch to Ubuntu for my Camera box.

Anyone done this?

I'm wondering if Ubuntu will recognize the camera card. It's basically a TV tuner card, has 2 plugs that allow BNC pigtails to be input.

I was even thinking maybe running Virtual Box ontop of Ubuntu and run the DVR in Virtual XP.

I'd really like to take advantage of the 64 bit hardware, so I was thinking about running Ubuntu Server 10.10 64 bit on this machine, is that a bad idea?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Private Security Companies

The post above, by exactsecurity is SPAM. (Edit: The spam post has now been removed by the Mods /Edit)

Meanwhile, try this link
    Last edited by tredegar; January 11th, 2011 at 12:59 PM. Reason: Spam post now removed.

Beans

Arrow Re: CCTV SuperDVR home security camera install?

Don't know if you've moved on from this.... but....

I have a Q-see card like you're describing, which runs on a Techwell chip... mine is a TW-6800. I tried for a LONG time, and I was never able to get Linux to recognize it as a video device. The latest SuperDVR software on Q-see's site for Windows is actually pretty slick though -- light years ahead of the crap that came in the box with the card, and frankly, even more user friendly than Zoneminder.

I have a 2nd capture card based on a Conexant BT878 chip that runs very well in Ubuntu/Zoneminder, using the BTTV driver.

Where Zoneminder really stands out is when you're mixing and matching different type of cameras with different resolutions and inputs, or if you simply want really high resolution. What I've ultimately found out is that BNC/Composite video cables can never quite produce a REALLY crisp 640x480 picture, regardless of how much money you throw at the cameras.

If you want my advice, get a pair of fifty dollar Logitech C310 webcams from anywhere (automatically detected by Ubuntu). Then get yourself a pair of 30 foot ACTIVE USB extension cables for fourteen bucks a piece on Amazon. It's a cinch to get both of them running in Zoneminder, and then you've got a high-definition surveillance system recording at 720p. Mine can read license plates from 50 feet away. Screw the framerate; it's not important for security.

Beans

Re: CCTV SuperDVR home security camera install?

Thanks for your input. I have a lot invested in my current analog cams and the wiring so I guess I'll either have to find a capture card that works or stick with Windows for now, I still want to learn Zoneminder though so I may try 1 of those usb cameras or maybe an ip camera on another box.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by freestyle45 View Post

If you want my advice, get a pair of fifty dollar Logitech C310 webcams from anywhere (automatically detected by Ubuntu). Then get yourself a pair of 30 foot ACTIVE USB extension cables for fourteen bucks a piece on Amazon. It's a cinch to get both of them running in Zoneminder, and then you've got a high-definition surveillance system recording at 720p. Mine can read license plates from 50 feet away. Screw the framerate; it's not important for security.
    Hi,
    I am trying to set up a Logitech C310 webcam with Zoneminder but I don t succeed. Ubuntu recognizes the cam, cheese and xawtv work fine.
    I also tried to use mjp-stream and set it up as remote cam but I still can t get it to work. And I would prefer to use it as local cam.
    If you could tell me how you got the C310 working it would really help.
    Thank you.

Beans

i know this is not the same cam you have but it may help you

http://www.zoneminder.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=63801

Beans

Don't know if you've moved on from this.... but....

nder.

I have a 2nd capture card based on a Conexant BT878 chip that runs very well in Ubuntu/Zoneminder, using the BTTV driver.
    Was just rereading your post. Where did you get this card? How would I find one and know it's a BT878 card?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by at100plus View Post
    Was just rereading your post. Where did you get this card? How would I find one and know it's a BT878 card?
    Click here. They're featured in the ZoneMinder Shop.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sl44n3sh View Post
    Hi,
    I am trying to set up a Logitech C310 webcam with Zoneminder but I don t succeed. Ubuntu recognizes the cam, cheese and xawtv work fine.
    I also tried to use mjp-stream and set it up as remote cam but I still can t get it to work. And I would prefer to use it as local cam.
    If you could tell me how you got the C310 working it would really help.
    Thank you.
    If someone wrote a guide on how to get the Logitech C310 working in ZoneMinder, that would be awesome!!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Does Zoneminder play nice with a multiple usb webcams?

Not too sure why but I was under the assumption that multiple webcams (say 4?) doesn't bode well with most OS-es.

If it does work, I'd like to do 4 of those Logitech C310 cameras using 10.04 and Zoneminder. Would that really work?

Good thread.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast