Thread: app from virtualization

Beans

app from virtualization

Hi fellas!

Since I really hate Wine (the Windows emulator), I'm considering to use VirtualBox to guest a Windows Vista so I could run Photoshop on it (and no, I really don't like GIMP also).

So here's my question: any of you think it would be possible to put a Photosop path in my ubuntu desktop that if clicked would open directly the virtual machine then imediatly after that open photoshop automaticaly?

I'm a new guy on linux, so i really dont know how that would be possible, but i think it could be. am i right?

thanx for reading! - peace

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: app from virtualization

I have an XP virtual machine running on top of Ubuntu, and it works great. One word of advice. There's some lost of performance on a virtual machine, so I would recommend either using XP or Windows 7. My experience with Vista doesn't even deserve a comment.

Regards and welcome to the forums.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by papibe View Post
    I have an XP virtual machine running on top of Ubuntu, and it works great. One word of advice. There's some lost of performance on a virtual machine, so I would recommend either using XP or Windows 7. My experience with Vista doesn't even deserve a comment.

Regards and welcome to the forums.
    Thank's for answering. I really even thought about having Windos XP or Seven on my VM. But I also really would like to know if could be possible to put a Photoshop path inside the Ubuntu Desktop that once it's clicked, it opens the virtual machine and then automaticaly opens Photoshop.
    Last edited by bipenett; January 15th, 2011 at 08:47 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by bipenett View Post
    Thank's for answering. I really even thought about having Windos XP or Seven on my VM. But I also really would like to know if could be possible to put a Photoshop path inside the Ubuntu Desktop that once it's clicked, it opens the virtual machine and then automaticaly opens Photoshop.
    If you don't like WINE try Crossover Office. That is the default for Crossover office, it puts an icon on the Linux desktop and away you go.

This is the best way to run Photoshop as it uses native hardware and will run much faster.

A year's subscription is not expensive and the Crossover help team is top notch.

If you try to run it in Virtualbox it will run like a dog even on up-to-the-minute hardware,
    as all virtual systems use their own emulated hardware including the video card, not good for an image manipulation programme.

Tony